Sr. Labour & Employee Relations Specialist
Michael Garron Hospital (MGH) is an award-winning hospital and one of Toronto's best-kept secrets. As Ontario’s leading community teaching hospital, MGH has proudly served the diverse, multi-cultural community of east Toronto since 1929 and is known for its friendliness and sense of community within Canada's largest city. Recognized as a leader in workplace wellness and offering a quality work environment focused on learning and development, MGH invests in people to meet their professional goals and to reach their personal best.
We have an exciting opportunity for you to join our team as a
Sr. Labour & Employee Relations Specialist
Are you a seasoned labour relations professional looking for an award winning healthcare employer? Join our team and share your expertise to positively and proactively influence labour relations strategies across our Hospital.
This is a full time opportunity reporting to the Manager of Labour & Employee Relations. The Senior Labour & Employee Relations Specialist will provide expert advice to client managers and HR Business Partners on all labour and employee relations matters including interpretation and administration of collective agreements, employment legislation, workplace accommodations, and policies and procedures. In this role, you will participate in contract negotiations, workplace investigations, conflict and dispute resolution, labour-management meetings, and take a lead role in all aspects of the grievance management process. Using your well-developed research and analytical skills, you will provide insight on managing labour relations issues, relationships with the unions, and projects in the Labour Relations department. You will also support hospital-wide programs such as Workplace Violence Prevention and Attendance Management.
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial Relations, Human Resources or related field required.
- Bachelor of Laws or Masters of Industrial Relations degree is preferred.
- At least five (5) years of recent relevant experience in a labour and employee relations capacity within a complex, multi-union environment is required (preferably in a healthcare environment).
- Strong track record in grievance handling and arbitration management is required.
- Extensive experience in leading investigations including preparing investigation strategy, questions, summaries and letters is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices, current case law, Federal and Provincial employment legislation is required.
- Skilled in application, execution, and analysis of attendance management programs preferred.
- Expert ability to interpret and apply collective agreements is required.
- Demonstrated experience in the facilitation of workplace accommodations is required.
- Strong knowledge and experience with collective bargaining required.
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to engage and form strong, trusting partnerships with all stakeholders is required.
- Effective conciliation/mediation skills are required.
- Ability to provide pragmatic business solutions to complex labour and employee relations issues within a dynamic, fast-paced, service excellence environment is required.
- Team player with exceptional interpersonal skills required.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills (oral and written) are required.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills, with the ability to deliver creative solutions and resolve issues effectively is required.
- Demonstrated strong presentation, facilitation and project management skills required.
- Ability to lead and effectively influence others is required.
- Must be self-directed with the ability to exercise independent discretion; strong awareness of confidentiality is required.
- Comprehensive computer skills including proficiency in MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint and Word).
- Excellent work and attendance record is required.
- All employees of Michael Garron Hospital (MGH), a division of Toronto East Health Network (TEHN) [formerly Toronto East General Hospital (TEGH)] agree to work within the legislated practices of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario.
- All employees of MGH are responsible to contribute to a transparent culture of patient and staff safety by adhering to and abiding by patient and staff safety policies and procedures set by MGH.
- All employees are accountable for protecting the psychological health and safety of themselves and their co-workers through adherence to MGH's policies and practices.
Application Deadline: Wednesday, July 31, 2019, however we are reviewing and considering applications as soon as they are submitted
If you are ready to join MGH, please email your resume & application form indicating “HROD1902 – Sr. Labour & EE Relations Specialist” in the subject line to: email@example.com
Michael Garron Hospital fosters an inclusive and diverse work environment. We are committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process. Should you require an accommodation, please let us know how we can work with you to meet your needs.
Our diverse staff is our most valued resource.
Compassion, Integrity, Courage and Accountability are the values that set Michael Garron Hospital apart