Senior Human Resources Manager
Senior Manager Human Resources
Title: Senior Human Resources Manager
Classification: Senior Manager / Level 4
Employer: John Howard Society of Ottawa
Department: Central Services Department
Location: Ottawa, ON
Reports to: Associate Executive Director
Job Term: Full Time - Permanent
Salary: $62,273 - $84,618 annually plus benefits
Language: Fluency in English. Bilingualism (English/French) will be considered an asset
How To Apply: Please include a full cover letter and resume by the deadline to:
Attention: John Howard Society of Ottawa Hiring Committee
By E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Friday, July 26, 2019 at 12:00am (midnight)
We sincerely thank all applicants who express interest in this position, though only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Since 1951, the John Howard Society of Ottawa (JHS) has been committed to providing services that prevent crime, reduce poverty, foster inclusion, and build self-sufficiency. Based out of 14 sites across Ottawa, 11 residential and 3 non-residential service-hub locations, JHS has been providing overarching services that include effective justice, mental health and housing supports. JHS is well-known for its work supporting males leaving incarceration, yet our diverse client group includes youth and adults of all genders, from a wide cross-section of social, ethnic, linguistic, and cultural backgrounds representative of our broader community.
Following a period of steady growth, JHS is seeking to expand its Central Services Department by hiring individuals who will support a hybrid model that combines centralized, as well as decentralized approaches to the delivery of central services (Finance, Human Resources, IT/Cybersecurity, Property Management, Quality Assurance/Improvement and Administration). The implementation of this new Department will allow for JHS to adjust its organizational culture, processes and structures in order to reflect and support the complementary responsibilities of all programs and over 200 employees within the organization.
The John Howard Society of Ottawa is seeking to find candidates who are looking for an opportunity to be part of an evolving partnership with the agency’s program managers and exciting adventure towards organizational change. JHS is committed to bolstering its team with candidates who will play a direct role in shaping and helping to implement the organization's new hybrid model.
As the right candidate, you will bring positive energy, an innovative and entrepreneurial spirit, and a dedication to continual learning and improvement to all of your responsibilities, which include:
- Developing and implementing HR strategies and initiatives aligned with JHS’s mission/strategy.
- Monitoring compliance with HR legislative requirements.
- Providing professional HR guidance and support to senior management in fulfilling their strategic and operational HR responsibilities and to HR-related committees.
- Designing standardized HR agency-wide processes, systems and tools to meet organizational needs.
- Collaborating with senior management to implement diverse, inclusive strategies to attract top talent and to develop JHS leadership.
- Devising effective mechanisms to enhance employee performance and support their professional growth.
- Maintaining JHS’s pay plan and benefits program.
- Anticipating and monitoring priority HR related issues, activities and projects and creatively solving HR problems for which the answers are not always obvious.
- Supervising the central HR function and representing JHS internally and externally in a professional high-quality manner when required.
- Nurturing a positive working environment to foster healthy management-employee relations and motivate employees.
- Cultivating a diverse network of relationships with staff and external stakeholders who you can draw on for expertise, advice, and collaboration to get things done.
You have a unique history. Does it include the education and experience listed below?
- Five years’ progressive experience as a human resource management professional, ideally obtained in an NGO setting.
- Preferably HR certification, e.g. CHRL or CHRP recognized by the Human Resources Professional Association (Ontario)/Chartered Professionals in Human Resources Canada.
- An undergraduate degree in a human resources or related business field.
- Bilingualism (English and French) desirable.
If you’re right for this role, you’ll be a natural at:
- Oral and written communication, building relationships and engaging, motivating and coaching others.
- Critical thinking, planning, organization, time management and follow-through skills.
- Taking initiative and having pride in the quality work that you do.
- Exercising solid judgment, tact, humility, and diplomacy.
- Rolling up your sleeves and juggling a variety of tasks.
- Finding creative solutions to provide seamless decision making.
- Being naturally curious, and always researching to find the best processes and solutions to support and expand the departmental programs and initiatives.
- Working proficiently with MS Word, MS Excel, E-mail, social media, HR Information Systems.
You'll stand out if you...
- Are adaptable, flexible and comfortable working in a decentralized, shared HR management model.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a collaborative team environment within a culture of “client service” and maintain positive, professional working relationships across the organization.
- Are knowledgeable about current HR workplace legislation and practices and the ability to oversee/provide guidance on all facets of the HR management function.
- Demonstrate leadership capabilities and strategic thinking with sound decision-making, problem solving, conflict management skills and judgement.
You’ll be prepared to…
- At times, work in fast-paced, high-pressure situations that require quick thinking and quick turnaround of accurate, high-quality deliverables.
- Prioritize a flexible work environment, including hours and locations.
Senior Human Resource Manager
Classification: Level 4 Salary Range: $62,273 - $84,618
Reports to: Associate Executive Director Effective Date: 2019
John Howard Society of Ottawa promotes safe and resilient communities through a broad continuum of services that prevents crime, reduces poverty, builds self-sufficiency, and fosters inclusion.
Reporting to the Associate Executive Director, the Human Resources (HR) Manager has overall responsibility for HR functional guidance and support for the development and implementation of HR policies and standardized processes, systems and tools related to inclusive human resource planning, recruitment, selection and onboarding; occupational health and safety; performance management; training and development; employee-management relations; and compensation and benefit administration. JHS Ottawa’s new hybrid organizational model encompasses both centralized and decentralized functions. Thus, the Human Resources Manager works both within the centralized service team while closely liaising and providing HR professional guidance and support to the Executive Director’s Office (EDO), Service Directors and Program Coordinators who have HR roles and responsibilities.
- Monitors JHS compliance with legislative requirements; guides the management team on interpretation and administration of personnel policies and programs; and works in partnership with the JHS Implementation Director to ensure all policies in the JHS personnel manual are effectively operationalized.
- Develops and implements HR strategies and initiatives aligned with JHS’s mission and vision and collaborates with Service Directors and Program Coordinators to ensure systems and tools satisfactorily meet JHS needs.
- Creates mechanisms for employee effectiveness and growth through an effective Performance Management System that aligns with JHS culture and values.
- Plans strategies in conjunction with the management team to attract and retain top talent in the organization and develops standardized agency-wide processes, systems and tools related to diverse, inclusive recruitment strategies and selection processes: job descriptions/postings, sourcing, screening, interview support for management, reference checks. This can also include preparing and maintaining job documentation, job evaluation, and company salary structure systems, participating in interviews as required and assisting management to identify and create job-related interview questions.
- Prepares and collaboratively implements a comprehensive onboarding program with Service Directors and Program Coordinators.
- Collaborates with the management team to design leadership development strategies and coordinates and supports internal and external training and development activities for employees.
- Ensures effective implementation of JHS’s employee compensation policy and leads implementation of the benefits administration plan.
- Supports the Occupational Health and Safety Committee and monitors compliance with Ministry of Labour requirements across JHS locations.
- Supervises the HR generalist/administration on operational and tactical support for managing and administering HR records, reporting and tracking, HR templates and tools, etc.
- Represents management as required and actively chairs and/or participates in various joint committees to maintain positive employee-management relations.
- Organizes and conducts employee information meetings on employment policy, benefits and compensation.
- Manages and oversees the operations of the Human Resources Information System database.
- Establishes a structure, process, and monitoring system on personnel files for all employees, volunteers, and students.
- Supports the EDO to ensure compliance with current HR legislation and regulations.
- Liaises with the external Senior HR consultant and JHS employment lawyers as delegated by EDO.
- Liaises and provides insights to senior leadership so they can fulfil their responsibility for strategic level HR functions such as change management strategy, talent management strategy, succession planning, organizational culture and effectiveness.
- Attends management meetings as scheduled.
- Participates as required in Department strategic planning meetings and provides inputs on Department strategic priorities.
- Attends Board and Client Service committee meetings as scheduled and provides presentations as required.
- Attends supervision meetings with his/her supervisor as directed.
- Completes other functions when required by senior leadership.
Disclaimer: This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.