Manager, Human Resources & Labour Relations
Manager, Human Resources & Labour Relations
Location: Toronto, HR Corporate Office
(location is near Sheppard and Don Mills)
Securitas, a global leader in the security industry, has been providing security services since 1899. With 8,000 employees in 25 offices across Canada and more than 335,000 employees globally, we possess the experience and knowledge to offer a broad range of services including: Leading Technology Solutions, Onsite and Remote Guarding, Mobile Guarding, and Investigations.
Reporting directly to the National Vice President, Human Resources, and based out of our Toronto Corporate office, the Manager, Human Resources & Labour Relations is a full-scope HR/LR Generalist role, with emphasis on employee & labour relations, health & safety, and Corporate HR programs, policies and practices. This role will appeal to HR and/or LR Managers (or strong experienced HR Generalists) who have a background working within a unionized environment and has direct experience dealing with Union grievances and other employment matters.
- Provides guidance to Departments and Branches for advice and counsel for a variety of HR and employee & labour matters. Works in collaboration with the VP, HR to advance HR initiatives as part of a comprehensive National HR strategy.
- Works with various Management to resolve workplace issues, grievances/complaints, disciplinary matters, attending Union-Management meetings, coaching for performance, and similar actions.
- Assists the VP, Human Resources and District Managers in the preparation of Human Resources & Labour Relations strategies, policies, and practices, including investigations, follow-up, and providing advice with respect to different union collective agreements application and interpretation.
- May participate in union collective bargaining negotiations from time-to-time under the guidance of the VP of HR. Collects data and information for negotiation preparation.
- Strives to maintain strong proactive, trusted relationships with the different Union Representatives.
- Will provide periodic reporting, progress and updates about Labour Relation and HR Matters.
- Working with the VP, HR and HR Team, develops, implements and manages policies and procedures related to Labour Relations, Human Resources, Health & Safety, and general workforce. Responds to Ministry of Labour and/or Employment Standards as required. May work with outside legal counsel.
- Keeps management and staff advised of new Provincial Legislation/Regulations and Company policies and best practices related to HR, Health & Safety, compliance, and other related areas.
- Provides direction, support, and coaching, to various levels of management and employees on Health & Safety matters and compliance. Participates and/or ensures Health & Safety Committees & meetings. Implements and improves safety management systems and processes.
- Interacts at all levels of the organization to drive best practice Health & Safety standards and compliance; fosters a culture of health, safety and wellness that is consistent with Securitas objectives, values, and legislative requirements.
- Gathers, develops, tracks, reviews and analyzes data, information and reports in order to maintain compliance with internal and external policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Conducts Health and Safety audits and may conduct or oversee health & safety training. Is proactive with mitigating risk; investigates accidents and/or critical injuries.
- Demonstrates ongoing sensitivity to diversity and inclusion and encourages and supports diverse views and approaches in the workplace by developing, maintaining, and enhancing programs that support diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrates excellent leadership skills including superb communication and consultative skills, commitment to delivery of results, and fosters partnership and teamwork.
- Working in collaboration with the VP, Human Resources, and the HR Team, works on completing various Human Resources related functions, programs, and projects, such as recruitment, on-boarding, Health, Safety, and Wellness communication, Employee Total Reward & Benefit initiatives, Training & Development, Performance Management, and Corporate Projects.
- Provides support as required as a member of the Canada Corporate Human Resources Team promoting internal Customer Service Excellence; and, other duties as assigned.
- Experience working in a unionized environment within an HR & LR capacity.
- Ability to build and maintain collaborative, positive relationships with all stakeholders.
- Analytical, with problem-solving skills and ability to apply sound judgment and innovative solutions to challenging issues. Conflict/alternative dispute resolution skills.
- Track record for promoting collaboration and trust. Demonstrates good attendance.
- Stays abreast of changing employee/workplace and health & safety related legislation. Possesses business acumen, is results driven and maintains a Customer Service orientation.
- Ability to multitask while remaining organized; able to set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Must possess excellent consultative and interpersonal skills to work with a variety of people.
- Superior communication (both oral and written) skills; experience developing policies and procedures.
- Excellent planning, follow-through, leadership, and coaching and facilitation skills.
Displays great discretion for handling and being exposed to sensitive and confidential information.
- Must be computer proficient and have a strong working knowledge of MS Office programs (Word, PowerPoint, Excel); working with other HR IT systems is an asset.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree or College Diploma in Human Resources or LR or a related discipline; or, a strong proven combination of education and work experience acceptable to the Company.
- A Human Resources designation is preferred (e.g. CHRP or CHRL).
- 7+ years of progressive work experience in Human Resources.
- Must undergo and meet Company standards for background and reference checks.
- Required ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently; works well under stress.
- May require occasional use of a vehicle in the performance of duties.
- May require occasional travel to various Company Branch Offices and other locations.
Please EMAIL your cover letter and resume directly to Canada Human Resources: HRCorpResumes@securitas.ca
The Posting will remain open until filled.
Securitas Canada celebrates diversity and we welcome and encourage applications from the four designated groups; namely women, aboriginal people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.