Senior Manager, Human Resources and Volunteer Engagement
- Designations Required/Preferred
SENIOR MANAGER, HUMAN RESOURCES AND VOLUNTEER ENGAGEMENT
Full-time, Permanent, Toronto, ON
Parkinson Canada is the definitive voice for Parkinson’s disease in Canada. Our purpose is to transform the lives of people living with Parkinson’s. We do this through research leading to better treatments and the end of Parkinson’s, advocacy bringing the voices of Parkinson’s to the forefront and support that helps people live well with Parkinson’s through education and services.
As a Parkinson Canada Employee, we believe in being:
- Bold by embracing new ideas and confidently taking action.
- Compassionate by striving always to walk in the shoes of those we serve.
- Collaborative by working cooperatively with all stakeholders so that together we can achieve more.
- Trustworthy by keeping our word and always doing what we promise.
WHAT WE NEED
We are seeking a results-oriented and strategically focused leader with exceptional interpersonal skills to provide oversight in the management of two integrated programs: human resources program and the volunteer program at Parkinson Canada. The Senior Manager, Human Resources and Volunteer Engagement will be a hands-on and people-centered professional who has the agility to focus on actions creating a positive environment, yet is able to see the big picture and act as an expert advisor to the CEO and Executive Leadership Team. The successful applicant will manage the day-to-day operation of the Human Resources Department, oversee a team of two and collaborate with staff at all levels of the organization on employee relations and other HR matters. The successful incumbent will be responsible for providing oversight, leadership, expertise, support, and services to ensure organizational effectiveness through development and implementation of strategies, policies, best practices and tools to support excellence in Human Resources Management and Volunteer Management.
As the successful candidate, you will bring your “can do” attitude to fulfill the following responsibilities:
Human Resources Management (80% of time)
- Develop and support implementation of an integrated human resources program for Parkinson Canada
- Provide advice, counsel, training and support on best practices in HR to managerial staff
- Ensure tools, resources and templates are developed to support HR activities
- Manage full-cycle recruiting process for all positions; sourcing candidates, reviewing applications, conducting individual interviews, selecting candidates for hire, and communicating offers of employment
- Develop, support and train staff on an effective performance evaluation process (i.e., goal setting, succession planning, career coaching, development, and assessment)
- Assess needs and workforce planning strategies and initiatives and develop and implement plans to meet staffing needs
- Develop strategies for building and enhancing internal talent
- Update / develop HR policies and practices for Board approval
- Assess, monitor and evaluate level of engagement by staff
- Serve as the main source of knowledge for compliance, laws, policies, and procedures
- Work with the Human Resources Committee to ensure a strategic workforce plan is in place
- Proactively bring forward new ideas and concepts in the field of HR management to position Parkinson Canada as an employer of choice
- Develop, monitor and evaluate annual departmental operational plan for the HR department as per the strategic plan and approved budget
- Monitor departmental processes and ensure departmental efficiency
- Evaluate workload and staffing requirements accordingly
Volunteer Management (20%)
- Provide leadership in the development, implementation of a nationwide volunteer program that includes having initiatives, tools and resources in place to support staff with volunteer management
- Oversee the monitoring and evaluation of the nationwide volunteer program including: volunteer database, website interface, monitoring, tracking and evaluation tools
WHAT IS NEEDED TO SUCCEED IN THIS ROLE
- Completion of advanced college or bachelor’s university degree in human resources and/or specialized training or equivalent experience
- 7+ years human resources experience
- 3-5 years related managerial experience and ability to motivate others to high levels of performance
- CHRL designation required
- Experience in a not-for-profit organization is a strong asset
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now or other HRIS required
- Working knowledge of payroll processing required
- Experience working with volunteers is required
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Proven track record in developing and maintaining productive and sustainable working relationships
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to think and plan strategically and manage tactically
- Proven ability to set priorities and manage organizational and strategic change
- Demonstrated planning, evaluation and project management experience
- Strong leadership in recruiting, coaching, training and developing staff
- Strong performance management experience
- Experience with HR metrics analysis, and insight with aligning resources with business needs
- Knowledge of HR employment legislation, standards and best practices
- Ability to handle sensitive/confidential information/situations
- High degree of professionalism and integrity
- Bilingualism (French / English) is an asset
Join a team that celebrates diversity and inclusion and values work-life balance. We offer comprehensive benefits, generous time-off and vacation and opportunities to make an impact. If you are passionate about applying your knowledge, skills and experience to make a tremendous difference in the lives of Canadians living with Parkinson’s, then this role is for you! Please send your résumé in confidence, stating salary expectations by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, August 19, 2019.
4211 Yonge Street, Suite 316
Toronto, Ontario M2P 2A9
Please quote Reference #SMHR-0819
Parkinson Canada will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Please indicate accommodations as required if contacted.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to pass a standard Criminal Record Check.