Labour Relations Specialist
Applications are invited for the full time position of Labour Relations Specialist in the Human Resources department at Niagara College.
Reporting to the Director, Human Resources, the Labour Relations Specialist is responsible for all operational matters of labour relations. As a resource to all levels of management, the Specialist will ensure that appropriate action is taken with respect to a wide variety of issues that supports the College’s strategic plan and is in accordance with the College’s core values, policies, and practices. The Specialist builds relationships with both Union Locals and other internal and external stakeholders in order to ensure a fair and equitable approach to labour relations with the goal of achieving a harmonious employee-employer relationship and a labour relations environment that is positive and productive.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Works closely with the HR Services team and College management providing technical guidance to ensure the College is compliant with contractual and legislative requirements such as the College Collective Bargaining Act, Labour Relations Act, Ontario Human Rights Code, Employment Standards Act, and Collective Agreements
- Ensures appropriate action is taken with respect to a wide variety of issues including - collective agreement and labour law interpretation; progressive discipline and termination; and Union/College Committees
- Manages and develops effective labor relations practices by participating and providing leadership in union management committee meetings, complaint meetings, grievance meetings and arbitration hearings
- Provides coaching and formal training to management to assist in their decision-making within the workplace, and provides ongoing support and feedback to ensure that strategic advice is implemented
- Conducts research with respect to labour and employee relations matters including review of jurisprudence, legislation, regulations, and industry practice - briefing senior management on issues and options for resolution
- Develops program materials to support various labour relations related activities and/or initiatives
- Provides formalized training and one-on-one advice to all levels of management and delivers seminars to the College community on a wide variety of labour relations and employment law issues
- Prepares detailed statistical reports for senior management, including presentations and communiques
- Manages projects relating to labour relations issues, working in conjunction with college management, College Employer Council, legal counsel and other areas within the department
Required qualifications include:
- Three (3) year diploma/degree in Human Resources Management, Industrial Relations, Labour Relations, Psychology, Social Science, or a related field
- Professional Human Resources designation (CHRL/CHRP) considered an asset
- Minimum seven (7) years experience in a unionized work environment, providing labour relations counsel, coaching and guidance to all levels of management
- Expert knowledge and understanding of provincial legislation related to employment and labour law and collective agreements; collective bargaining process, and labour relations dispute resolution systems and processes
- Proven ability to understand, interpret, and advise others with respect to complex legal documents and legislation
- Exceptional research, analytical, problem solving and conflict resolution skills with a keen ability to apply sound judgment and innovative solutions to challenging issues
- Strong written communication and presentation/facilitation skills
- Team-oriented leader with excellent consultative and diplomacy skills
- Excellent organizational/time management skills with the ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to confidently handle contentious matters with sensitivity and confidentiality
- Effective ability to adapt and learn quickly, in an ever changing environment, keeping current with changing legislation, policies, and best practices
Job Fact Sheet (JFS) currently under review.
Please apply by forwarding your cover letter and resume to Lisa Craig, Associate Director, Human Resources at email@example.com
Closing date: This posting will remain open until filled. First candidate review to begin September 9.