Human Resources and Payroll Coordinator
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources (North America) with a dotted line to the Canadian Site Leader and Site Controller, the Burlington based Human Resources Coordinator will be responsible for the successful facilitation and administration of human resources, payroll and EHS.
Key Result Areas
- Serve as a key representative of the company engaging employees in our culture.
- Provide HR support by serving as the first point of contact for employees and managing or escalating issues to the Director of HR or site leader as needed.
- Process employee changes and transactions in HR, Benefits and Payroll systems with high level of accuracy and data integrity.
- Assist in the talent acquisition process - job postings, interviewing and hiring process including the preparation and scheduling of interviews, offer letters and background screening.
- Oversee Employee Onboarding / Offboarding
- Conduct New Hire Orientation and ensure new hire and benefits related paperwork is completed in a timely manner.
- Respond to HR, benefits and payroll related inquiries and requests.
- Maintain HR records (Employment, Payroll and Medical)
- Work with Director of HR and local management team on employee relations, performance management, discipline, HR best practices and employee terminations
- Maintain Canadian HR & Payroll Policies and Procedures
- Maintain Canadian Organizational Chart
- Coordinate annual or ad hoc employee trainings and seminars
- Coordinate Canadian Leave of Absence (LOA) Program (i.e., disability, parental, compassionate)
- Conduct employee exit interviews, provide employment related documents and retrieve company property.
- Run monthly benefits enrollment reports, communicate enrollment eligibility for with new hires, qualifying events, terminations.
- Process in-house weekly payroll
- Analyze regular vs. overtime hours for accuracy.
- Enter and maintain employee pay data, update payroll records as needed.
- Track salary adjustments, sick and vacation time.
- Update employee payroll deductions and verify deductions match enrollment report.
- Perform payroll verifications (employment, mortgage, loan).
- Set up garnishments and remit payments on a timely basis.
- Research and resolve pay issues.
- Review insurance billings to accurately reconcile between bill, payments and deductions.
- Participate in year-end payroll tasks.
- Support the Site Controller with ad hoc reporting and special projects.
- Submit Record of Employment (ROE) upon employee termination.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of Occupational Health and Safety legislation and Workplace Safety Insurance Board Policies and Procedures.
- WSIB claims submission.
- Work with EHS Manager in the administration of the Employee “Fit for Duty” Program.
- Assist EHS manager with New Hire Safety Orientation and annual safety compliance training.
- Support the COR administration process, pre/post certification, by maintaining, collecting, and reporting on COR EHS documentation received at head office to the EHS Manager.
- Escalate potential safety issues to EHS manager or Site Leader.
- Working with Human Resource Director & Safety Manager, assist with the coordination of the return to work of staff, ability to remain at work for injured or disabled staff, duty to accommodate or other performance related issues involving illness or disability.
- Take part in developing, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating workplace health and safety action plans and initiatives.
- Ensure compliance with Federal and Provincial Acts, Codes and Regulations
- Stay abreast of current trends, best practices, regulations and laws that impact the HR & Payroll function.
- Work closely with US HR, Accounting & EHS.
- Co-Lead Canadian Employee Activities and Health, Safety & Wellness related committees.
- Make recommendations to increase operational efficiency and accuracy.
- Be resourceful, creative, organized, accurate and thorough.
- Exercise judgment and use discretion with confidential matters.
- Ability to efficiently execute multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative in identifying and resolving problems independently
- Act in a professional and courteous manner, representing highest standards of business conduct, exhibit a positive attitude, sharing information with co-workers as appropriate and work to promote a cooperative and productive environment.
Experience & Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Experience and Qualifications
- Completion of Post-secondary degree or certification program in Human Resources
- 3+ years of HR and 2+ years Payroll Experience in Construction or Manufacturing environment
- HRIS and Timberline accounting software experience preferred
- Education & training in Workplace Health & Safety
- Experience with time keeping software – hh2 preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Strong communication skills needed to work with people in the office and in the field
- Customer service minded
- Strong analytical skills needed to trouble shoot and solve problems
- Deadline-oriented, highly organized self-starter
- Meticulous attention to details and accuracy
- Flexible outlook toward task management
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment