Labour Relations Specialist (18-month contract)
Role Purpose: Responsible for day-to-day operations of employee + labour relations including CBA administration, grievance administration, performance management, employment legislation and investigations.
Note: This is an 18-month contract only, however, the successful candidate will be provided with medical and dental benefits.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND ACTIVITIES:
- Manages day-to-day operations of labour relations matters including interpretation and compliance of CBA, performance management, employment legislation and any related internal policies and procedures.
- Provides support to Operations, Managers, Supervisors and Leaders in the interpretation and application of the CBA, as well as best practices in managing a unionized environment.
- Participates in and coordinates labour relations related procedures including grievance meetings, arbitrations, and mediations.
- Prepares/assists in the distribution of related documentation in consultation with Operations team.
- Responsible for arbitration preparation by combining all the necessary background information.
- Supports operations team on employee relations matters, including but not limited to short/long-term absenteeism, terminations and frustration of employment.
- Receives and investigates all employee and labour relations complaints, including CBA/ESA violations and human rights complaints.
- Prepares and processes labour relations related documentation, including minutes of settlement, disciplinary letters and terminations for union employees.
- Provides excellent customer service while developing and maintaining cooperative and positive working relationships with all key stakeholders.
- Promotes equality and diversity as part of the company culture.
- Policies, Processes & Procedures: follow all relevant departmental policies, processes, standard operating procedures and instructions so that work is carried out in a controlled and consistent manner.
- Minimum two to five years’ experience in a similar role within a unionized environment required;
- Experience in agri-food or food processing preferred;
- In-depth working knowledge of HR related legislation, including but not limited to the Ontario Employment Standards Act (ESA); Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC), Ontario Labour Relations Act (OLRA) etc.;
- Ability to build strong business acumen and apply this knowledge when making recommendations;
- Ability to influence and challenge;
- Proven ability to handle confidential and contentious issues;
- Demonstrated competency in several aspects of HR (i.e. succession planning, performance management, labour relations, coaching, etc.);
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced environment where attention to detail and effective multi-tasking is essential;
- General computer skills (MS Office).
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Post-Secondary Degree or Diploma in related field;
- CHRL or equivalent work experience.
- Building Trust - Builds strong relationships on a foundation of trust, loyalty and authenticity.
- Driving for Results - Relentlessly pursues quantifiable and measurable results: identifies areas for improvement and executes changes as necessary.
- Communication & Listening - Encourages open and honest communication with the team, communicates messages clearly and concisely and listens attentively to others.
- Initiative - Proactively seeks new opportunities and challenges; takes ownership and accountability for enhancing results or minimizing problems.
- Builds Networks - Builds strong relationships with peers, partners and key stakeholders, cultivating meaningful connections.
- Awareness & Insight - Assesses one’s own abilities, understands how actions impact perceptions and thrives within our culture, climate and organization at all levels.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Office based with occasional visits to the plant
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants are required to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all applicants for applying however only those chosen will be contacted.