Human Resources Manager (Part-Time)
Human Resources Manager (Part-Time)
Part-time contract position
Supervisor: Chief Executive Officer
About NPower Canada
NPower Canada is a charitable organization that launches underserved young adults into meaningful and sustainable digital careers. The program provides participants with free in-demand digital and professional skills training and connects them to new and rewarding career opportunities with some of Canada’s largest employers.
Through consultation with a wide range of employers, NPower Canada’s comprehensive curriculum ensures participants are equipped with the in-demand technical and professional skills most sought after by industry.
NPower Canada provides employers with access to a pipeline of eager, diverse and job-ready young talent with in-demand digital skills who are primed to succeed in the workplace. Graduates receive ongoing support and coaching to ensure continued success in their careers.
The Manager, HR is a part-time, contract position responsible for developing, strengthening and ensuring the efficient functioning of NPower Canada’s HR function. This is an ideal role for an experienced HR professional or consultant seeking a part-time opportunity. NPower Canada is growing rapidly with 36 employees currently and an expected 60+ employees on board by the end of 2021. This position is a 3-day per week in-office role, reporting to the CEO and collaborating closely with the Senior Management team.
Who you are:
- 5+ years experienced Human Resources Professional with a background in supporting small business and/or nonprofits
- Have a university degree in Human Resources, or Business Administration
- Have a CHRP designation in good standing, working towards a CHRL designation is an asset
- Strong Human Resources generalist experience, including hiring, performance management, diversity and inclusion principles, health and safety, compensation and legislative requirements
- Strong organizational skills including an aptitude for systems thinking and the ability to create internal systems for processing and accessing information
- Extensive knowledge and experience developing and implementing HR policies in multiple jurisdictions
- Familiarity with nonprofit organization structure, operations and HR issues
- Experience working with start-up organizations and change management is an asset
- Able to exercise sound judgement, discretion and initiative and to organize and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
Accountabilities & Deliverables
Policy Development and Review
- Develop new employee handbook and oversee publication and ongoing revisions
- Recommend best practice policies and practices to build positive work culture
- Conduct compliance audit to ensure legislative and regulatory compliance
- Analyze compensation packages to ensure competitive plans and equity
- Consult with legal counsel when necessary
Talent Acquisition - Assist Senior Management team with staff recruitment including:
- Develop and incorporate effective workforce planning and employee retention strategies in consultation with senior management
- Develop and coordinate full cycle recruitment practices including, developing job descriptions/job postings, developing marketing strategies, pre-screen activities, coordinate job offers and pre-employment screening and on-boarding activities
- Support senior leadership in developing talent and leadership from within the organization
- Coordinate any required training for management on interviewing, terminations, performances reviews, etc.
Employee Relations and Staff Development
- Consult and coach staff members (staff and management) to effectively manage employee relationships
- Provide employee relations including conducting conflict mediation/training, workplace investigations and delivering other applicable staff training
- Recommend and support team building and employee engagement strategies
- Prepare Health and Safety policies and practices and participates on applicable Joint Health and Safety committees.
- Maintain employee performance review process and recommend and enhance applicable HR metrics to deliver equitable compensation practices
- Administer employee benefits programs including supplemental health insurance and wellness initiatives
- Maintain accurate and complete employee records as it relates to vacation, staff training, performance, personal and sick day tracking
- Prepare internal communication plan in collaboration with Director, Marketing & Communications
- Oversee annual United Way campaign program and employee volunteer initiatives
- Respond to inquiries regarding policies and procedures
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter with the job title in the subject line to: Julia Blackburn, Chief Executive Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DUE DATE FOR APPLICATIONS - OCTOBER 25, 2019 at 5 PM EST
Early applications are encouraged.
NPower Canada is an Equal Opportunity Employer
NPower Canada will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates through the hiring process, under the Human Rights Code. Please inform us if you require any accommodation through the hiring process.