Workforce Relations Specialist
Human Resources Department at Baycrest has an opportunity for a
WORKFORCE RELATIONS SPECIALIST, FULL TIME
70.00 Hours bi-weekly – Non-Union
Human Resources forms part of the Corporate Strategy & Human Resources Division at Baycrest, providing expertise, guidance, and assistance through partnerships with Management and Employees who work with the clients of the Centre.
The Human Resources Department maintains an extensive suite of programs and services, which require ongoing strategic support and data generation to provide consultation to operational managers. These programs necessitate considerable, detail-oriented work in order to accomplish the department’s goals.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Supports and occasionally leads labour relations activities across the Baycrest’s campus, including investigation meetings, labour-management meetings, grievance meetings, and collective bargaining in collaboration with HR Business Partners, union leaders, employees, and the Manager, Labour & Employee Relations
- Analyzes data by conducting statistical analysis/preparing reports related to grievances, attendance management, accommodations, discipline, etc., and recommending opportunities for process improvements
- Actively supports the handling of grievances at all stages of the grievance and arbitration process, including providing expert consultation on grievance advancement and resolution
- Ensures unionized postings comply with respective Collective Agreements, accurately captures the role and responsibilities of the position and conveys the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Co-ordinates external advertising and promotion of employment opportunities within Baycrest through career fairs and other recruitment outreach
- Develops and maintains excellent working relationships with hiring managers in order to ensure a solid understanding of vacancy specifications and current and future recruitment needs.
- Maintains positive relationships with all levels of the organization, including union representatives.
Qualifications (include but are not limited to):
- Degree or diploma in Human Resources or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Canadian Human Resources Professional or Leader (‘CHRP’ or ‘CHRL’) designation would be an asset.
- Minimum of three (3) years of previous experience supporting the labour relations and recruitment functions, preferably in a multi-union, non-profit organization, particularly a complex health care facility (Hospital and/or Long-Term Care facility).
- Other relative Human Resources experience is desirable.
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience would be considered.
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office suite of software and internet.
- Familiarity with Human Resources systems.
- Strong working knowledge of all applicable legislation, i.e. Employment Standards Act, Human Rights Code, Pay Equity Act, Labour Relations Act, Hospital Labour Disputes Arbitration Act.
- Ability to interpret and apply provisions of the collective agreements
- Excellent organizational, planning and time management skills.
- Ability to manage multiple, often competing priorities.
- Advanced critical thinking skills
- Strong presentation, facilitation and project management skills
- All Baycrest employees are responsible to abide by and adhere to Baycrest policies and procedures and in accordance with legislated practices.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality concerning sensitive issues in a professional manner