Senior Human Resources Consultant, Health and Safety
Posting #: 20-238EXT
Posting Date: October 14, 2020
Closing Date: November 4, 2020
Job Title: Senior Human Resources Consultant, Health and Safety
Location: Toronto Reference Library, Human Resources Department
Status: Permanent Full-Time - EXEMPT
Hours Per Week & Schedule of Work:
35 hours per week.
This Human Resources professional will coordinate, implement, monitor and provide direction in Health and Safety and related human resources areas, including but not limited to, the areas of Health & Safety Programs, Workers’ Safety and Insurance (WSI), Disability Management, Modified Work Programs, general Human Resources client activities. The incumbent will also participate in special projects and assignments, as well as other areas of HR functions as required.
Under the general supervision of the Manager, Human Resources, this position is responsible for:
- Providing leadership in the planning, implementation and monitoring of TPL’s health and safety program.
- Providing a range of human resources expertise and consultation to managers, human resources staff and employees in all aspects of disability management including injury/illness under the WSI Act, long and short term disability, return to work and health & safety.
- Representing the HR Department on related health and safety committees, task forces, WSIB hearings, adjudication and appeals.
- Providing information and guidance to senior management on related legislation, human resources policies and practices and their implications; providing interpretation and advice regarding application of collective agreements.
- Conducting risk assessments and investigations and developing follow-up responses and actions.
- Conducting formal investigations of workplace harassment complaints.
- Working collaboratively with relevant stakeholders in the development and implementation of responses strategies related to workplace violence.
- Advising management in responding to grievances related to health and safety, including coordinating and/or preparing documentation with respect to grievances; collective bargaining and acting as the Human Resources representative at grievance/arbitration hearings.
- Providing advice and guidance to management in the planning and conducting of staffing, rehabilitation, WSIB, long-term disability and return to work programs. Chairs the Joint Modified Work Committee.
- Designing, implementing, delivering and evaluating various programs including training, rehabilitation, health & safety.
- Coordinating, developing, delivering and evaluating workplace training related to health and safety.
- Coordinating the library’s ergonomic assessment program, in consultation with Finance Division, chairs the Joint Ergonomics Team.
- Assisting in the development and implementation of operational systems and procedures ensuring that approved policies are consistently implemented by staff.
- Consulting with managers and providing advice regarding human resources management practices, including harassment, employee relations, disability and return to work programs, conducting research and developing strategies to assist managers in dealing with these situations.
- Providing training and technical guidance to Human Resources Consultants and Generalists in all aspects of the human resources functions related to health and safety, modified work, workers’ safety and insurance, including advising on application of legislation, collective agreements, policies/procedures, as applicable.
- Participating in other areas of HR functions and other HR activities (e.g. attendance management, employee relations).
- Post-secondary degree in a relevant field (Human Resources Management or Health and Safety (or equivalent education), along with 5 years of progressively responsible experience in leading health and safety programs.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) designation.
- CHRL designation preferred or in progress.
- An advanced knowledge of relevant legislation (including Occupational Health & Safety Act, Ministry of Labour Act, Workers Safety and Insurance Act, Ontario Human Rights Code, Human Resources Act, Employment Standards Act) and workplace Health and Safety practices and programs
- A sound knowledge of contractual obligations, including administration of Collective Agreements, and sound human resource practices.
- Demonstrated experience working in a unionized environment.
- Experience in successfully investigating and resolving workplace harassment complaints
- Background knowledge of ergonomic principles an asset.
- Highly developed analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to identify needs, initiate, coordinate and manage projects.
- Excellent communication, presentation and human relations skills, including the ability to manage and resolve conflict.
- Excellent consultation skills at all levels within the organization.
- Ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships with all stakeholders including managers, employees, union officials and the public.
Salary: $88,979.80 - $104,540.80 per annum (2020 Rate, Grade 6.5)
How to Apply:
E-mail your cover letter and resume, quoting the Job Posting #, to email@example.com. We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Toronto Public Library invites applications from all qualified individuals. The Library is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from visible minorities, aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Upon request, accommodation will be provided for persons with disabilities through all stages of the recruitment and selection process.
More searches like this
- Government and Public Sector Agencies / Commissions Workplace / Employment Law Generalist, Specialist, Business Partner, Consultant, Recruiter, Interviewer 91,000 - 110,000 jobs in Toronto
- Not-For-Profit Workplace / Employment Law Generalist, Specialist, Business Partner, Consultant, Recruiter, Interviewer 91,000 - 110,000 jobs in Toronto