Senior Labour Relations Consultant
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Manager Labour Relations, is responsible for the provision of direct and associated technical expertise and guidance with respect to labour relations, and provides professional human resources consultative services to all levels of management in the Corporation with a particular focus on complex and/or contentious issues for the assigned client base.
- Responsible for the provision of the labour relations specialty for assigned bargaining units, and others, as required, in such areas as collective bargaining, human rights, terminations, grievance administration, disciplinary processes, harassment investigations, and labour management committees.
- Responsible for collecting, analyzing, and costing research data, developing proposals, and recommending and negotiating collective agreement amendments; acts as Chief Spokesperson for assigned bargaining units; and assists in preparing reports for City Council.
- Represents the Corporation at City Manager-level grievances, rights and interest arbitrations, and other legal proceedings, as assigned, and arranges for and liaises with appropriate legal counsel; negotiates letters of understanding during the life of the applicable collective agreement.
- Provides technical expertise and specialized guidance to the Human Resources Consultants and other Human Resources staff in relation to grievances, disciplinary matters, performance issues, collective agreement interpretation, and other labour relations matters; provides general guidance in the areas of benefits, staffing, and development.
- Undertakes specialized labour relations-related Corporate or departmental projects as assigned.
- Researches, prepares, and presents reports to the Manager Labour Relations.
- Assists in the development, maintenance, and administration of Corporate policies and procedures in accordance with applicable Provincial and Federal legislation, as well as Corporate/Council directives and the Corporate strategic plan.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge and awareness of emerging trends, best practices, developments, and issues within the labour relations and human resources fields.
- Demonstrates an innovative, proactive, goal-orientated approach to labour relations and human resources management.
- Provides internal consulting function to all levels of staff within the Corporation with a particular focus on complex and/or contentious issues.
- Acts in the absence of the Manager Labour Relations.
- Performs such other duties as assigned.
- Degree or diploma in a discipline related to human resources
- Six years’ experience in a human resources environment specializing in labour relations
- Experience as chief spokesperson in collective bargaining matters in a multi-bargaining unit environment
- Superior ability to communicate effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing, with the ability to deliver presentations to a variety of audiences and handle on the spot questions
- Superior ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, co-workers and customers
- Ability to identify, understand, and meet/exceed the requirements of internal and external customers
- Strong research, project/time management, analytical/critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Proven negotiation, conflict management, and mediation skills
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to motivate and to share skills and knowledge with others
- Proven ability to function as an effective team member and to work independently
- Proficiency with office computer equipment and current related word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software
- Must be competent within the meaning of the Occupational Health & Safety Act
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must sign and abide by Employee Confidentiality Statement
- Must undergo a successful Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC)
- Will be required to travel to various work locations and provide own transportation