Bilingual HR Business Partner (Health & Safety)
About the Company:
At Hazelview Properties we believe that apartments are more than bricks and mortar - they are an experience.
Started in 1999 with one small building in Oakville Ontario, we now manage a portfolio of over 200 multi-family residential buildings throughout Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia.
Hazelview Properties takes pride in ownership and an active hands-on approach to how we manage our communities. We are committed to fostering the long-term growth of our employees, communities and the investments we make for our clients. It’s one of the things we’ve always believed in, creating value for people and places.
We are committed to a diverse and sustainable future.
Vision: “We create value for people and places”.
Our Core Values:
- Ownership Mindset
- Having Fun
About the Position:
Our Eastern Canada portfolio is comprised of more than 120 employees, over 40 properties and roughly 4,500 suites located throughout Quebec & Nova Scotia.
The People, Health & Safety Business Partner will support national Health & Safety programs and initiatives in addition to people operations for Eastern Canada across all HR functions including, but not limited to: talent acquisition, employee relations and legal matters, performance management, total rewards, coaching and development along with HRIS database management.
The People, Health & Safety Business Partner will collaborate closely on people matters with the Montreal & Halifax operations leadership team including Director, Regional Managers and Property Managers. This role reports to the People & Wellness Manager.
Health & Safety
- Provide national health & safety leadership and support to the Regional and National Operations teams.
- Participate in the development, implementation and execution of a health and safety program in conjunction with the People & Wellness Manager
- Provide input regarding design and development of processes and tools necessary to execute the health and safety strategy nationally.
- Identify gaps, propose, and implement changes necessary to cover risks.
- Identify and evaluates risks associated with hazards in the workplace and recommend changes to eliminate or mitigate such hazards.
- Mentor and coach safety committee members, management, and regional safety champions to manage and execute safety systems.
- Support the implementation of policies, corporate standards, and programs to mitigate risk and achieve compliance with Provincial legislation.
- Deliver training on health, safety & people matters.
- Provide interpretation and guidance to the delivery of People & Culture policies and programs, recommending updates and enhancements as required.
- Interpret and explain policies, procedures, and relevant legislation.
- Act as an advisor to both managers and employees on employee relations issues.
- Bring forward operational and employee concerns or issues to senior management.
- Build strong relationships with operations leaders (Director, Regional Maintenance Manager, Regional Managers, Property Managers and Community Managers).
- Make recommendations where there are performance issues and participate in facilitating resolutions.
- Participate and facilitate the Performance Review Process for respective Regions.
- Support the Talent team in the full-cycle talent acquisition needs for Regional and some Site Level positions including needs analysis, job description creation, devising a recruitment plan through to the offer stage, in partnership with the hiring manager.
- Pre-screen resumes, short-listing, scheduling, conducting pre-screen telephone interviews and cultural / team fit assessments.
- Proactively guide and coach leaders through the hiring process.
- Facilitate and schedule interviews with Management for internal and external applicants.
- Absence tracking, payroll and general system maintenance in UltiPro.
- Update all payroll files in HRIS system and Excel in order to process pay for new hires, changes, as well as terminations.
- Preparation of quarterly leasing commissions and bonus payments.
- Proactive in developing process improvement solutions and implementing best practices to mitigate any risks.
- Initiate and participate in projects, both planned and ad hoc, to improve People & Culture practices and procedures.
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Health & Safety, Human Resources, Industrial Relations or Business degree, with specialization in Human Resources or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Graduate degree in health and safety management would be an asset.
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience in a HR function preferably in a of a large-scale organization, with a high interest in broadening their experience into a Health & Safety generalist role.
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience in a health and safety specialist/consultant role, preferably in a large organization, with a keen interest in diversifying experience into an HR generalist role.
- Completion of Certificate in Human Resources Management (CHRP/CRHA) would be an asset.
- Self-motivated individual who is proactive, takes initiative, goal and results oriented and work independently without a lot of direction.
- A professional demeanor and coupled with strong communication skills both written and verbal.
- English and French bilingualism - business level expertise required.
- Excellent communication is required. Ability to speak other languages is considered an asset
- Actively championing diversity and inclusion
- Team player who works well with individuals at all levels.
- Demonstrates a high degree of integrity, diplomacy, discretion and confidentiality.
- Ability to accurately listen, understand and respond appropriately.
- Ability to work and act independently using good judgment when assessing difficult situations.
- Ability to remain calm and focused in high pressure situations.
- Superior organizational and time management skills in order to multi-task.
- Actively championing diversity and inclusion
- Ability to travel
Hazelview Inc. is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer. If you require an accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let us know. We will accommodate your needs as required under applicable legislation. Information related to accommodation requirements will be addressed confidentially.