Head of Employee Engagement
Digital video publisher Underknown is in search of a Head of Employee Engagement to join our growing team. We are looking for a strategic leader to align the objectives of the company with the people and culture strategy.
The ideal candidate will be a catalyst for our culture, has a successful record of growing people and the ability to motivate, influence and drive change.
Our team is a quirky and diverse crew that has one thing in common: our love for telling great, fun and engaging stories. Everyday, we work across desks, departments and even oceans to reach our goal of educating the world in the wonder of science and the humanities. We want the Head of Employee Engagement to wake up every day thinking about how they can make everyone feel like working at Underknown is the best job they have ever had. If you're passionate about helping everyone see what matters, you're just our type.
What You'll Do…
- Partner with the CEO and VP of Operations to align strategic business objectives with HR programs and initiatives.
- You will build upon our diverse and inclusive culture with a key focus on employee engagement across all departments.
- Accountable for key Human Resources functions including talent management, employee relations, organizational planning, compensation & benefit programs.
- Lead and mentor a People and Culture team combining strategic HR planning with day to day execution.
- Function as a trusted advisor to the leadership team and assist in talent and succession planning strategies.
- Create a competitive employment brand for Underknown that attracts and retains the best talent.
- Analyze metrics and propose strategies to improve employee engagement, morale, productivity and retention.
- Build a forward-thinking performance management process that promotes excellence and drives ongoing, multi-directional feedback.
- Build scalable professional development programs that aid in growing the team's employee capabilities and promote career progression.
- Analyze the existing total compensation package and plan for a scalable future compensation strategy.
- Lead teams and individuals through difficult situations, employee relations, mediating and performance management issues.
- Actively ensure company compliance with changing employment laws within Canada and worldwide with our network of freelancers.
- Coach leaders, managers and high-potential employees in developing leadership capabilities and skills; set up training, mentorship opportunities and ongoing development programs.
- Keep a pulse on the most innovative people's practices and have a desire to set a new bar in terms of how a company can treat its employees in a remote office environment.
- Build a diversity and inclusion initiative following Underknown mission and values.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years of progressive HR / People leadership experience preferably in the startup, Digital media industry or in an organization with a strong reputation for industry-leading HR practices
- Experience building a global organization across multiple locations and offices
- Experience scaling and growing high-performing teams and processes
- Passion for exceptional talent acquisition and talent management strategies
- In-depth knowledge of global and Canadian labor laws and human resources best practices
- Proven experience working in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Compassionate with a deep interest in contributing to the success of others
- Clear, honest and direct communicator
- Bachelor's degree within a related field required; Master's degree a plus
Salary: 70,000 - 80,000 CAD
This is a full-time position. Please apply if the offer resonates with you.
Underknown is a Toronto-based social video company producing highly engaging, data-driven web series devoted to science, history, geography and culture. We currently run half a dozen web shows on a daily basis, including "What If", the #1 science show on Social Media.
You will be working with an innovative management team that is on the cutting edge of defining what a new media company is. Underknown produces world-class content and is a values-driven organization that aims to educate the world on science and the humanities.
Underknown is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other designation.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $70,000.00-$80,000.00 per year