Coordinator, Payroll & Human Resources
Appointment Type: Full time, Permanent
Classification & Hiring Range: Administrative: 09N: Hiring Range: $58,119 - $68,373, Broadband Salary Range $58,119 - $78,627.
Reports to: Human Resources & Equity Officer, and Manager, Payroll & Finance
Trinity College is a vibrant and diverse academic community with a rich history and excellent local and international reputation. Since its founding in 1851, the College has valued and fostered a high level of academic achievement with some 2,000 currently registered students, 450 of whom live at the College. Trinity College grounds comprise spectacular historic buildings, and the College is among the smallest and most prestigious colleges on the St. George Campus of the University of Toronto. Trinity’s campus currently consists of four main buildings and is located in the central Toronto downtown core, steps from the Bloor-St. George subway and Queen’s Park.
In performing a broad range of duties this position provides support to a wide array of Human Resources processes and initiatives and is responsible for administering payroll to the College’s largest employee group. This position requires a superior level of accuracy, respect for confidentiality, sound judgment and diplomacy.
Key responsibilities (but not limited to):
- Prepare and process full cycle and monthly payroll, including but not limited to:
- enter data/changes into the ADP system and prepare payroll calculations
- add, terminate and archive employees in ADP and prepare ROEs as required
- engage with support resources at ADP to correct errors/resolve issues or to implement changes to automatic calculations, deductions and G/L interface
- ensure payroll is accurate and complete
- transmit payroll to ADP ensuring all deadlines are met
- obtain and maintain all relevant files/supporting documentation relating to payroll
- Respond to inquiries from staff, faculty, department leads and external agencies regarding payroll and benefit related matters (i.e. accessing account in ADP, change of address, payroll letters)
- Reconcile and enter payroll journal entries and accruals in the accounting system and maintain G/L interface in ADP
- Utilize ADP reporting functionality to prepare required reports for third parties, annual audit, etc. and reconcile to G/L on quarterly basis
- Generate and review T4s
- Calculate premiums owing and prepare payment requests for benefit providers and for union dues
- Prepare and issue invoices for salary and benefit recoveries
- Serve as back-up for bi-weekly payroll
- Data entry for new hires, terminations and employee changes in HRIS
- Create and maintain physical and electronic employee files
- Respond to employee queries regarding College employment policies and practices
- Prepare, organize, distribute and maintain current and new employee documentation; verify records and provide assistance to managers regarding employee information; ensure accurate information is provided in a timely fashion.
- Assists with job postings on the College web site as well as external sites
- Assists in the coordination and administration of recruitment activities, training and development activities as well as HR programs and initiatives
- Assist with the administration of WSIB claims and health and safety activities and reporting
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum post-secondary degree or diploma in Human Resources Management, Payroll or equivalent
- Completed Payroll Compliance Practitioner an asset
- Completed or working towards CHRP an asset
- Minimum 3 to 4 years of payroll processing and accounting experience with HR and/or office management experience
- Knowledge of provincial and federal employment legislation and CRA rules
- Experience working with ADP Workforce Now payroll software & Microsoft Dynamics NAV or equivalents
- Experienced with standard accounting practices
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office suite and previous experience working with HR information systems; excellent data entry skills
- Experience in an educational setting or business environment
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to balance competing priorities and deadlines
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Superior interpersonal and effective communication experience with a diverse range of people required
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, handle multiple tasks, set and meet deadlines
- Flexible and adaptive to changing needs
- Must possess a high degree of maturity, patience and judgment
- Self-motivated to take initiative, resolve problems and escalate more complex issues
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with strong attention to detail
- Handling sensitive and/or confidential information
Submit resume and covering letter to: https://secure.trinity.utoronto.ca/Resume/?Stream=Coordinator%20Payroll%20and%20Human%20Resources Only applications with both cover letters and resumes and submitted through Trinity’s online application system will be considered.
Job Posting: January 25, 2021
Applications will be accepted to: February 4, 2021 at 4:00 p.m. Applications will be reviewed as received.
Trinity College is a federated university in the University of Toronto and offers excellent employment opportunities with exceptional benefits. The College is a culturally diverse community that sustains a tradition of academic excellence and provides a vibrant and welcoming community of students, faculty, alumni and staff.
Trinity College is committed to Employment Equity and Diversity based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity. If you need this job posting in an alternative format or if you require accommodation measures, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.