Labour Relations Advisor
***** Please visit www.trentu.ca/employment to apply for this position. Applications submitted via job boards will not be accepted.****
The Labour Relations Advisor contributes to the maintenance of a positive employment relations climate while providing analytical, technical, strategic, and administrative support on a range of labour relations initiatives for both unionized and non-unionized employee groups. This position also acts as an HR Generalist, providing a range of services to departmental managers, on both proactive and reactive levels, while providing advice and training on the interpretation and application of the University’s policies and collective agreements.
· Under the direction of the manager and/or vice president, addresses labour relations issues through facilitation, collaboration, and effective problem-solving methods. Consults with managers, employees, and HR co-workers, providing guidance and interpretation on human resources policies and procedures, collective agreements and employment law in a manner that is progressive, compliant and contributes to equitable practices throughout the organization.
· In collaboration with the manager and/or vice president, coordinates the grievance process including guiding managers through potential labour relations issues, fielding complaints from employees, finding solutions to complaints at the informal level, and facilitating formal grievance meetings. Also prepares and delivers grievance decisions and documentation to support the University's position on grievance responses and, if necessary, in mediation and arbitration. Responsible for the preparation, coordination and maintenance of negotiated settlements and Letters of Understanding. Ensures consistency in the application of these decisions and that outcomes are implemented in an accurate and timely manner.
· Coordinates Joint Committee and other union-related activity including researching and presenting issue papers, and providing administrative support (meeting planning, note taking, drafting proposals and briefings).
· Provides support to the VP, Human Resources for the negotiation of Collective Agreements. Conducts research, provides administrative support (including minute taking, proposal drafting, meeting planning, etc.), composes briefings and updates and aids in the development of the strategic direction of negotiations. Responsible for the preparation, coordination, production and maintenance of Collective Agreements.
· Prepares, coordinates, and maintains union settlements and memoranda of understanding.
· Responsible for maintaining and enhancing the Labour Relations website.
Provides outstanding customer service by working with all departments to resolve issues effectively.
· Participates as an effective member of the HR team.
· Coordinates, plans, develops and implements other projects as required, including drafting and updating employment policies as identified through legislation and organizational changes.
· In conjunction with the Group Benefits and Pension Advisor, assists with employee accommodation, Attendance Awareness, return to work planning, meetings, and follow up.
· Acts as a backup to HR co-workers in a generalist capacity to assist with the implementation of the HRIS.
· Assists in identifying and analyzing data to identify appropriate training and development for all employee groups at the University.
University Honours degree in a related field with specialization in Human Resources. CHRL designation is an asset.
· 1-2 years of human resources experience in a unionized environment required.
· Strong facilitation, problem-solving, negotiation, conflict resolution and client service skills.
· High level of attention to detail, accuracy, and confidentiality required.
· Strong research and analytical skills.
· Strong communication skills, both written and verbal; strong presentation skills.
· Demonstrated tact, diplomacy, and objectivity.
· Ability to work under minimum supervision and as part of a team.
· Proficiency in a variety of software applications including word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet software.
· Ability to multi-task with proven organizational skills