Human Resources Manager
Provides day-to-day human resources support, advice and expertise to the Head office of the Scarborough manufacturing site in support of business goals and objectives. Promotes open two-way communication and positive employee relations. Manages the implementation and application of Bellwyck’s policies and procedures ensuring fairness, equity, consistency as well as legislative compliance. Supports and promotes health, safety and wellness in the workplace. Keeps abreast of best practices and industry trends. Participates in Corporate project initiatives. Supports other sites as required.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In partnership with supervisors and managers, coordinates and facilitates a variety of activities relating to employee management, i.e. internal and external recruitment; benefits enrolment and administration; coaching and employee development; training; compensation administration; performance management; remedial discipline; etc.
- Coaches, advises and guides supervisors and managers in their role as “human resources managers”.
- Acts as subject matter expert and advisor on human resources matters and legislation.
- Proposes effective and practical solutions that comply with Bellwyck’s policies and procedures, as well as, legislative requirements.
- Earns employee respect and trust. Investigates issues/concerns. Brings about fair resolution ensuring relationships are maintained. Promotes positive employee relations.
- Administers and processes leaves of absence (e.g. STD, LTD, legislated leaves, etc).
- In partnership with site management, administers WSIB claims and oversees Early Safe Return to Work (ESRTW) initiatives.
- Facilitates with Payroll, the timely and accurate administration and processing of employee records and transactions.
- Prepares human resources documentation, i.e. job offers, letters to employees, human resources notices, bulletins, etc.
- Facilitates employee committees and actions employee suggestions.
- Supports/promotes health, safety and wellness in the workplace. Participates in JHSC activities, providing advice and counsel.
- Develops job aids and tools based on best practices for supervisors and managers.
- Keeps at the pulse of the organization assessing employee morale; conveys findings and recommendations to senior management.
- Keeps abreast of industry trends with regards to Human Resources practices, legislative requirements, Health and Safety in the workplace, etc.
- In collaboration with other site HR Managers, participates in the development and implementation of HR policies and programs and other Corporate initiatives.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Completion of a relevant university/college program with CHRL designation, or, equivalent work experience. CRSP safety certification an asset.
- 10 or more years’ progressive generalist experience in a Human Resources role in the manufacturing sector with 3 or more years’ experience at the HR Manager level.
- Expert knowledge and hands-on experience with Ontario’s Employment Standards Act, Ontario’s Human Rights Act, and, Ontario’s Workplace Safety and Insurance Act.
- Excellent oral and written (English) language communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship building and negotiation skills that result in “win-win” strategies.
- Results oriented; self-directed; highly organized; ability to multi-task; work with minimal direction managing competing priorities in a fast-paced changing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to assess problems, consider alternatives, exercise sound judgment and take appropriate action.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of products as well as various HR commercial software programs.