Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Specialist
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Specialist
Regular Full Time
Salary Range:$93,259.00 To $109,745.00 Annually
The City of Markham, an award-winning municipality with more than 353,000 residents, is Canada’s high-tech capital and most diverse community, enjoying a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy. Committed to being a model of public service excellence, with a workforce that is representative of the population we serve, we are looking for people who share our values and are champions of innovative practices.
The City of Markham is proud of its rich diversity and strives to ensure everyone feels welcome, has a sense of belonging, and is free of racism and discrimination. In 2020, the City approved its strategic plan “Building Markham’s Future Together” which includes an update of its Diversity Action Plan and launched a multi-faceted strategy to combat anti-Black racism.
Please apply online (www.markham.ca/careers) by submitting your cover letter and resume no later than March 28, 2021.
Come join us and make a lasting difference
The City is seeking a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Specialist to support and lead internally and externally facing diversity and inclusion initiatives, working closely with staff, stakeholder partners and City Advisory Committees. As a member of the CAO's Commission, this role has access to senior staff and decision makers in the organization, allowing for influence and impact. The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Specialist has a key role in the development and execution of the City’s community Diversity Action Plan update, Anti-Black Racism Strategy and equity audit as well as involvement with community consultations and partnerships, moving forward Truth and Reconciliation actions, the development of staff and community resources, support of diversity related Council Advisory Committees and the sharing of City practices with others. Effectively working with stakeholders representing the full range of diversity including, but not limited to, race, ethnicity, accessibility, ability, sex, religion, age, language, sexual orientation, and gender identity/expression is critical to ensuring the City and its work environment are inclusive, free of racism and discrimination, and foster a sense of belonging. This role will also provide diversity, inclusion and equity advice and guidance to the organization at all levels.
Skills, experience and expertise:
- Proven knowledge, skill and education in the areas of diversity, inclusion, community development, equity, cultural competence and relevant legislation or other comparable experience
- Lived experience as a member of the Black, Indigenous or other racialized communities a strong asset
- Ability to think strategically and operationalize ideas into plans and actions
- Strong project and change management skills including the ability to initiate and develop project scopes and work plans, deliver complex initiatives against tight timelines and co-ordinate resources in a fast paced environment combined with the ability to facilitate groups and bring stakeholders along with an outcomes oriented approach
- Demonstrated experience and skill working effectively and partnering with a broad range of equity seeking groups
- Demonstrated experience conducting community consultations and conversations
- Ability to effectively research, synthesize and present data, information and recommendations in a variety of formats including reports, presentations, web-based applications, charts, plans
- Ability to collaborate, partner and communicate equitably, diplomatically and effectively with multiple and diverse internal and external stakeholders, sometimes with competing interests, in a politically sensitive context, using strong interpersonal, influencing and inclusion skills
- Excellent communication skills (presentations, public speaking, verbal, written, social media)
- Politically astute and able to navigate political structures and systems, committed, energetic
The City of Markham is committed to inclusive, accessible and barrier free employment practices and to creating a workplace that reflects and supports the diversity of the community we serve. The identification of your lived experience as a member of Black, Indigenous, persons of color or other communities is welcomed in your application. Please let us know if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to ensure a barrier free hiring process.