Manager of Human Resources
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Director of Human Resources this is a generalist position with a focus on Claims Management and Labour Relations. Responsible for the leadership and facilitation of key Human Resources functions to include occupational and non-occupational claims management, labour relations, salary administration, policy development and review, pay equity maintenance and recruitment.
SUMMARY OF WORK PERFORMED:
- In conjunction with the Director of Human Resources, ensures the County’s salary administration and job evaluation systems are administered in accordance with County policies and the Pay Equity Act.
- Assists in the planning, research, preparation and costing of collective agreement negotiations.
- Provides input and participates as required in labour relations matters including union / management meetings and grievance procedures.
- Develops, recommends and co-ordinates the implementation and administration of Human Resources policies and procedures for the County.
- Investigates and provides recommendations in regards to civil and respectful workplace issues and workplace harassment and violence complaints.
- Assists with recruitment and selection processes as required.
- Proactively manages all occupational and non-occupational claims with an aim to limit the County of Elgin’s liability.
- Co-ordinates the development and implementation of accommodated work programs for all departments to assist injured or sick workers return to the workplace as quickly as possible.
- Administers the Employee Assistance Program.
- Participates in the preparation of the annual departmental operating budget.
- Pension administration with respect to all leave periods.
- Provide services for Elgin Local Municipalities in the areas of Negotiation, Labour Relations, Conflict Resolution, Salary Administration, and other Human Resource functions as requested.
- Facilitates general Human Resources duties, which include labour relations, pay equity evaluations, collective agreement negotiations, salary administration, employee relations, benefit and pension inquiries and labour management concerns.
- Creates and maintains complex spreadsheets for negotiations and office operations using County operating systems.
- Ensures compliance with Human Rights legislation in regard to workplace accommodations.
- Actively manages all WSIB, Short-term and Long-term Disability claims for the County. Co-ordinates return to work programs and ensures ongoing communication with third party groups such as the WSIB adjudicator, LTD providers and Nurse Case Managers.
- Provides day-to-day supervision and performance management of Human Resources Assistants and Accessibility Coordinator.
- Acts in the Director of Human Resources capacity in their absence.
- Other corporate or human resources duties as assigned.
1. University degree specializing in Human Resources or Labour Relations.
2. 3-5 years experience in a Human Resources generalist role, including responsibility for disability management programs (WSIB and non-occupational), performance management, collective agreement administration, pay equity and labour relations
3. CHRL designation or currently working towards the CHRL designation.
4. Must possess advanced computer software skills in MS Office programs and good working knowledge of HRIS database systems
5. Must possess strong verbal and written communication and customer service skills.
6. Valid “G” class Ontario Driver’s Licence and the use of a reliable vehicle for County business.