Health and Safety Specialist
The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city. Job summary
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Health and Safety Specialist within the Human Resources department. Reporting to the Manager – Employee Health, Safety and Wellness, the successful candidate will provide technical expertise with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
- Works with established team of Health and Safety Specialists to assist in the development and implementation of corporate health, safety programs, policies, and strategies in order to assure the fostering of a healthy workplace, strong safety culture and ongoing compliance with applicable employee health and safety legislation/directives and guidelines
- Monitors, reviews, interprets, and summarizes legislative requirements regarding health and safety/compliance; recommends and develops strategies and solutions and assists with implementing resulting infrastructure and operational changes and upgrades
- Ensures standardization across division for all legislation and regulations
- Solicits, coordinates, and consolidates staff and peer input on legislative and regulation changes
- Liaises with regulatory or government officials to ensure all related supporting documentation is accurate and regulatory response deadlines are met
- Develops, administers and reports on safety audits to promote legislative compliance and due diligence
- Consolidates, analyzes, and summarizes health and safety/compliance data for management, operations, inspections and reports; produces required presentations and reports
- Assists in the development and delivery of related management, technical, and administrative training
- Assists with maintenance of tracking system, and development of standard operating procedures
- Coordinates health and safety/compliance training and records management with site employees and Human Resources to ensure that all records are maintained, current, and readily accessible
- Assists with the completion of Job Safety Analysis (JSA) and updates, identifies training gaps, and works with the Human Resources department to reconcile with corporate training scheduling and records
- Develops and recommends proactive strategies and cost effective alternatives to deal with emerging health and safety trends
- Investigates and determines contributing factors for all accidents and/or incidents, including workplace violence, and recommends prevention or corrective strategies to reduce the likelihood of recurrence
- Monitors all health and safety policies and procedures to assist supervisors in ensuring staff compliance
- Develops and updates orientation packages and requirements for contractors working on site, temporary staff, and alternate site uses i.e., research/tours
- Maintains and updates all health and safety related documentation including SDS
- Implements and coordinates departmental specific programs related to health and safety and/or compliance
- Participates on departmental Joint Health and Safety Committees as a resource
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a university degree/college diploma in Occupational Health and Safety, Compliance or a related discipline and considerable experience in safety/compliance program development, implementation, and maintenance in a municipal, industrial or manufacturing environment. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- The Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP), The Certified Health & Safety Consultant (CHSC) designation or an equivalent designation would be considered an asset
- Must possess a valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to resolve inquiries/complaints in an effective manner
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple assignments in order to meet deadlines in a very demanding service focused environment
- Excellent communications skills (both oral and written) with the ability to influence and communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public
- Excellent facilitation skills in order to conduct training and workshops
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- A team player with excellent conflict resolution and leadership skills
- Ability to analyze and investigate problems, identify alternatives and make recommendations in order to implement procedures and policies
- Thorough practical knowledge and experience with Ontario’s Occupational Health & Safety Act, Workplace Safety and Insurance Act and other related regulations
$75,634.49 - $94,543.11
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Tuesday, April 27, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.