Payroll Specialist (Contract)
Hiram Walker & Sons Limited, a Pernod Ricard Company, is the place where ambition thrives. As part of a global enterprise, we are proud to be delivering the market such exciting brands as Wiser's Whisky, Polar Ice Vodka, Malibu Rum, and Lamb's rum. Let your ambition lead you toward outstanding opportunities with progressive rewards.
Note: This role is a 12 - 14 month contract
Responsible for coordinating and processing the activities of multiple payroll cycles and companies, performing checks, reconciliations and balancing as required. Develop and process ad hoc reports as required for governmental, internal and Pernod Ricard needs. Provides additional support to Manager, Payroll & Mobility NA and Specialist, Payroll NA for special projects and implementations.
- Responsible for supporting the Manager, Payroll & Mobility NA in all day to day payroll related activities for processing all payrolls, maintain payroll records, maintain and balance Payroll logs for various pay groups.
- Supports related payroll processing activities (timely file transmission to banks & confirmations, preparation of child support and garnishment payment requests, maintaining related records, etc.).
- Develop and process standard and ad hoc payroll reports for governmental, HR, and Business needs and/or special reports as required.
- Processing remittance of taxes to government and 3rd party agencies within required timelines.
- Prompt and accurate response to employee and retiree inquiries, questions, investigation of issues and concerns regarding payrolls processed. The ability to communicate at times technical payroll-related issues clearly to the general employee population.
- Ensure all payroll transactions are in accordance with company policies & procedures, and are in compliance with audit and governance requirements for each applicable Province/State and Federal agency.
- Create and maintain payroll procedures as needed; further develop HR processes and systems to eliminate manual work.
- Process Time & Attendance data; collect, validate, and summarize departmental time & attendance & ensure accurate upload into Workday payroll system.
- Preparation of monthly and annual payroll account reconciliations to Finance GL team.
- Disseminate relevant information to other HR team member(s), HR Business Partners, etc. to keep them informed and aligned.
- Responsible for supporting Manager, Payroll & Mobility NA in all tax related activities; compliance status, establishing & maintaining current registrations, tax issue resolutions, etc.
- Participate on special project teams as required, be an integral part of the project team for payroll/system projects. Special projects will be determined based on the needs of the department; required system upgrades, obligatory testing, validation, staff training, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Abilities
- Technical proficiency in Microsoft Office and BI reporting
- Experience with using payroll processing software (preferably Workday)
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with ability to meet stringent deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail with a high level of accuracy
- Experience with Canadian and USA tax rules, payments & agencies
- Accounting skills
- Required: Business Diploma (Human Resources or Accounting).
- Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree – Business Commerce (Human Resources or Accounting)
- CPA/APA PCP (Payroll Compliance Practitioner) designation
- Required: 2 – 4 years Canada and/or USA Payroll
- Preferred: 2-4 years of previous experience running various complex payrolls for Canada and/or USA, Union experience.
- Requires strong customer service aptitude and a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Solid communication skills, particularly in interactions with employees, as well as in the explanation of sometimes complex/technical payroll issues.
- Prior experience with Workday and Kronos preferred.
We welcome and encourage applications from individuals from all groups, including aboriginal, women, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities, regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, creed, family status, national origin, age and gender.
Hiram Walker & Sons Ltd. is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodation during any phase of the recruitment process or wish to view our accommodation policies, please contact the Human Resources Department at Accessibilty.Canada@pernod-ricard.com
Thank you for your interest in Pernod Ricard and its subsidiaries, Corby Spirit and Wine Limited and Hiram Walker & Sons Ltd. All resumes submitted will be reviewed by our recruitment team and kept on file for six months in consideration for this and future opportunities. Please note that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Please do not contact provincial offices directly as all recruitment is coordinated through the Corporate Office in Toronto.