Specialist, Disability Management
The Specialist, Disability Management is accountable to the Manager, Pension Benefits and will be responsible for managing all leave types including: Sick Leave, Accommodation Reviews, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, WSIB Claims, Maternity Leaves, and all other Protected and Unprotected leaves.
The incumbent will manage return to work plans, offer support to staff who are off work and support them in a return to their duties. In addition, liaison with managers and external service providers related to the management of employees who are off work due to illness/injury is also required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Leave Administration
Provide support and case management expertise of Short and Long-Term Disability claims, Workers Compensation claims, all Protected and Unprotected leaves in collaboration with third party providers (e.g., insurers, disability claims vendors, Workers Compensation representatives), managers, Human Resources and employees. Responsible for gathering required information, communicating with employees, managers, vendors/case managers in a timely manner to ensure that absences and disability programs are effectively managed within company guidelines and legal parameters.
2. Return to Work Programs
Support return to work planning/screening with employees, managers and HR representatives, minimizing lost time and ensuring program effectiveness.
3. Continuous Improvement and Industry Knowledge
Proactively identifies areas of opportunity to develop and conduct training presentations related to disability management. Remains current with respect to best practices and legislation impacting disability management and recommends improvements to develop and maintain company policies, procedures and processes.
Regularly communicates and provides status updates to employees, managers and service providers regarding eligibility, benefit authorization and ongoing management of claims and benefits within prescribed timeframes and responds to inquires or concerns to ensure effective program management.
5. Provider Relationships
Act as main point of contact with third party service providers to review trends and implement best practices in disability management and return to work programs.
6. Data Entry and Reporting
Manage semi-monthly payment scheduling, HRIS updates and vacation/sick day balances for all employees on leave.
Any other job related duties and/or projects that may be assigned.
Skills, Knowledge, Experience and Education
- A relevant degree from a recognized university or college in Human Resources/Disability Management/related discipline
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in Disability Management functions
- Strong understanding of related legislation pertaining to Disability Management, Workers Compensation, return to work and accommodation, etc.
- Previous experience providing services to internal clients and other stakeholders
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office applications, Benefits Administration and Oracle HCM
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (written and verbal), able to communicate effectively with all levels, exercising discretion, tact, diplomacy and sensitivity
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with superior attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong organizational skills, including balancing multiple responsibilities, effectively meeting deadlines and handling high work volume
- Proven record of delivering excellent customer service
- Experience in handling occupational and non-occupational disability cases
- Experience in working with third parties (insurers, 3rd Party Disability managers, Workers Compensation representatives)
- Certified Disability Management Professional designation, or work in progress towards designation, is an asset
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Employment Standards Act, AODA, ESA, MFIPPA, OHSA, Workplace Safety and Insurance, Ontario Human Rights Code is an asset
- Experience in the development and implementation of Mental Health Training and Wellness Initiatives