At Point Blank, we’re driven to help people make their world more just. We work with the labour movement, non profits, healthcare, and environmental orgs to uphold workers’ rights, influence policy, and draw attention to economic, social and environmental issues that impact the most vulnerable. At the heart of our work is our team: catalysts of every impact and spark of change. As Canada’s biggest progressive agency (and one of the only that’s national and unionized), we’re looking for an exceptional in-house HR Partner to not only support, but also elevate this incredible team of 45.
Reporting to the Senior Director of People and Culture, you’ll work closely with all teams including Operations, Finance, Sales/Marketing, Campaigns, Producers and the Creative team. As the only HR Partner, you will be responsible for supporting Point Blank by leading our employee and labour relations. We’ll look to you to support our operational processes, employee experience, and employee strategy goals; bring a proactive and steady approach to maintaining our existing records and processes; while contributing your innovative ideas to make our workplace even greater.
This position can be based in Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, or Edmonton - but exceptions may be made for truly exceptional candidates in other locations within Canada. If you are a socially-minded HR professional with labour relations experience who is interested in working in a people-first organization, we want to hear from you.
WHAT YOU DO
Recruitment (20%) - we’ll look to you to find our unicorns
- Create job postings in consultation with team leads and the resourcing department to ensure that we’re hiring the right people, at the right time.
- Manage and execute hiring processes that are fair, positive for candidates, and lead to great hires that are aligned with our company culture and organizational needs.
- Proactively reach out and build relationships with talented contractors.
- Create and execute onboarding and offboarding plans for new and departing employees and contractors.
- Utilize online tools and platforms to maximize recruitment potential.
HR Administration (35%) - build, maintain and improve our HR infrastructure
- Maintain accurate records and track compensation, performance evaluation, leaves, work planning, lieu time, contracts, promotions, issue management and other data.
- Create, maintain, rollout, and interpret policies that contain federal, provincial, and local labour laws, while ensuring compliance across the organization.
- Promote health and wellness initiatives and own the administration of our extended benefits plan.
- Responsible for workplace health and safety.
HR Partnership / Labour Relations (35%) - partner with our business and union representatives
- Actively participate in the collective bargaining process and assist with the implementation of outcomes from that process.
- Support team leads by advising, managing and tracking any employee or labour issues and ensure prompt resolution where possible.
- Advise management with regard to legislative requirements from an employment perspective, as required.
- Partner with various team leads to ensure the performance of their department including recruitment, selection, training, performance management and career development.
- Actively mentor and coach team members to ensure knowledge transfer, subject matter expertise and business intelligence is shared throughout the team.
- Manage year-end process including; compensation proposal, salary reviews, and compliance/update of HR toolkits.
Special Projects (10%) - in a growing organization, you’ll collaborate with project teams to improve our workplace
- As an example, special projects could include working with the People & Culture and DEI team to add an equity lens to recruiting, hiring and compensation, OR revamping our internal performance management process.
WHO YOU ARE
- A natural people-person with exceptional attention to detail and a love for creating order, alignment and clarity.
- An excellent communicator whether written or spoken.
- Collaborative in nature, empathetic with sound judgement.
- Self motivated, personable and approachable.
- Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) or (CHRL) designation.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 5 years of experience in labour and employee relations including recruiting, HR compliance, benefits, compensation and talent management.
- At least 3 years working directly with unions.
- Ability to understand and apply the terms of collective agreements and diverse policies.
- Understanding of federal, provincial, and local employment laws, and HR functions for a national organization across several provinces (BC, ON, AB, MB.)
ADDITIONAL ASSETS (not required)
- A masters in industrial relations, HR and/or Business Management bachelor degree, or Diploma would be considered, along with a CHRP holder.
- Proven HR experience in the technology, advertising or progressive union sectors.
- Background or experience in communication techniques, counselling/psychology, and bystander training.
- Point Blank sees immense value in hiring, training and promoting professionals from a wide variety of backgrounds. Because of this, we particularly encourage candidates from under-represented backgrounds to apply.
Why work with us?
- Our entire team are campaigners who are committed to social change. We work with causes and movements we believe in - and have a fun time doing it.
- We offer paid health leave and an extended benefits package - including a health and dental plan.
- We offer flexible working arrangements using a hybrid model where staff can opt to work from home and in the office.
- Our Vancouver and Ottawa offices are centrally located - close to transit and great places to live and eat. We have a Toronto office coming in September 2021!
HOW TO APPLY
Step 1: Send us your CV and cover letter in a single document to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “HR Partner”. Please include your salary expectations with your application, and use your cover letter to tell us about two initiatives (ie. programs, projects, processes) from your previous experience that match what we’re looking for. We would also love to hear about your Labour and Employee Relations experience.
Step 2: Submissions will be reviewed, and top applicants invited for an interview. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary is commensurate with experience, and anticipated to be in the range of $70,000-$80,000.
Ideal Start Date: September 20, 2021 (flexible)
Closing Date: Apply now. We will be conducting rolling interviews for this position.
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2009, Point Blank Creative is a national full-service agency working to unleash the power of progressive movements by bringing together best practices in traditional advertising, digital, and community organizing. We work with movements and causes we care about, with a particular focus on the labour movement, electoral politics, health care, and issues of economic, social, and environmental justice.
We work and live on the unceded territory of the Algonquin Anishinaabe and Coast Salish peoples, as well as the Coast Salish territory of the Lək̓ʷəŋən (Lekwungen)/Songhees, Esquimalt, WSÁNEĆ Nations, including the territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Stó:lō, səl̓ílwətaʔɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) Nations; in Treaty 6 territory, the traditional meeting ground and home for many Indigenous peoples, including Plains and Woodland Cree, Assiniboine, Saulteaux, Niitsitapi (Blackfoot), Métis, and Nakota Sioux peoples; in Treaty 13, the traditional territory of many nations including the Mississaugas of the Credit, the Anishinabewaki ᐊᓂᔑᓈᐯᐗᑭ, the Chippewa, the Haudenosaunee and Huron-Wendat peoples, this land is also home to many diverse Indigenous, Inuit and Métis peoples.
Our work has been recognized in Canada and America. In 2018, our Game Over Christy ad was recognized as “Best TV Ad” at the Reed Awards in their “Overall” category (entries from Canada, US, and around the world). Our work has also received nine nominations for the 2020 Reed Awards. Point Blank’s founder, Nathan Lusignan, has also been recognized as one of BC’s “Top Forty Under 40” entrepreneurs.