Torys LLP is a highly respected international business law firm with offices in Toronto, New York, Calgary, Montréal and Halifax.
As a Torys employee, you will enjoy both an exciting, fast-paced work environment and a supportive, collegial and team-based culture. We take pride in our ability to attract and retain individuals who excel in their respective fields. We do this by providing stimulating work and learning and development opportunities, as well as a competitive compensation and benefits package. Our multidisciplinary teams work together to offer seamless cross-border services to our clients all over the world. Dedication to professional excellence and outstanding client service is Torys’ hallmark. Of equal importance is our commitment to maintaining a collegial working environment – one that brings together individuals with diverse backgrounds, personalities and styles in an atmosphere of friendship and team spirit.
At Torys, diversity is a core strength. We thrive on the multifaceted and unique perspectives and talents of our people believing that diverse viewpoints, backgrounds and experiences enrich our professional lives, strengthen the quality of our work and improve our ability to respond to the full spectrum of our clients’ needs. Our commitment to diversity informs our recruitment, retention, development and advancement practices with respect to all of our members.
The Coordinator, Payroll & Benefits is responsible for administering the overall payroll and compensation, including the biweekly payroll cycle and supporting the day-to-day activities of the Human Resources department.
- Act as subject matter expert and respond to general questions related to payroll, benefit and retirement programs.
- Process payroll, which includes administering changes relating to new hires, terminations, salary increases, promotions, transfers for staff for all offices (Canada and US).
- Responsible for calculating, balancing and remitting payroll deductions and statutory withholdings for all offices (Canada and US), source deductions (EI, CPP, Tax, EHT), United Way Deductions, Garnishments & Family Support Orders, Electronic transmission of payroll deposits, and Electronic transmission of Pension & RRSP files to benefit providers.
- Coordinate benefit plans for all offices (Canada and US) including Life Insurance, AD&D, LTD, Medical and Dental, Executive Medicals, Optional Life policies, and OHIP Replacement Coverage.
- Ensure employees are enrolled on time and into the correct benefit plans, orient new employees on their coverage, and monitor the monthly benefit invoices, etc. Conduct employee education sessions and deliver new hire orientation to all employees.
- Administration of the day-to-day pension and Group RRSP/TFSA programs for all offices (Canada and US).
- Coordinate employee leave of absence (short-term and long-term disability) and return process for maternity leaves, associate secondment, and other paid or unpaid leaves.
- Process the taxable benefits related to firm programs.
- Support various departmental projects and initiatives as required.
ATTRIBUTES & EXPERIENCE
- Canadian Payroll Association (CPA) PCP designation or other equivalent formal payroll training/experience. Attained or working towards benefit or pension certification (CEBS) is an asset.
- 2 years of payroll and benefits administration experience, including disability management.
- US Payroll knowledge/experience is required.
- Bilingual (French/English) would be an asset.
- Experience with Ultimate Software (Ultipro) would be an asset.
- Proficient in MS Office product suite.
- Strong client service orientation combined with the ability to manage multiple client needs at the same time.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to interact with individuals at all levels within the organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work well both independently and collaboratively within a team environment.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills to effectively prioritize and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Sound judgment including the ability to deal with confidential information with utmost discretion.
HOW TO APPLY
Please address your resume and cover letter, stating your salary expectations to Firm Admin Recruiting (email@example.com).
At Torys we are committed to diversity in the recruitment, retention and advancement of our people. We believe that diversity of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives enhances the quality of our work and nriches our lives. We are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible work environment. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please contact Jenny Tavares (firstname.lastname@example.org), Director, HR Services & Employee Relations.