The Director, Total Rewards, serves as a member of the Human Resources (HR) senior leadership team and has responsibility for NAV CANADA total reward programs through the development and implementation of a Total Rewards Strategy that aligns to and enables overall organizational strategy. Reporting to the AVP, Talent Management, this individual is accountable for evolving a comprehensive total rewards strategy that enables NAV CANADA to attract, motivate and retain top talent. The individual will provide subject matter expertise, oversight and leadership for all total reward management strategies, operations, initiatives, and tactics, including focus on measurement of results. The Director, Total Rewards will lead the development and implementation of total compensation policies, programs and practices, including: executive compensation, management compensation, health care, dental care, basic & supplemental life insurance, long-term disability, accidental death & dismemberment insurance, business travel insurance, dependent life insurance, and rewards.
Recognized as the subject matter expert, the Director, Total Rewards acts as trusted advisor to senior leadership in the development and delivery of a total rewards program. The Director will continue to build and manage a best in class Total Rewards function and serve as a senior decision maker and thought leader for NAV CANADA. This role plays an integral part of our People leadership team and will collaborate on projects with leaders from across the organization.
- Play a key role in identifying, building, changing and implementing innovative, high-impact total rewards strategies and programs that enable an outstanding organization.
- Design and develop innovative employee benefits and compensation solutions to support strategic business initiatives.
- Understand and deliver the data and analysis required to enable strategic Total Rewards business discussions and decisions.
- Establish key metrics and measurement for each Total Rewards program/initiative.
- Negotiate and administer all contracts, financial arrangements, and service level agreements with third party providers, including consultants and actuaries.
- Provides recommendations on overall executive compensation design, implementation, and communication.
- Oversee and lead the design, planning and administration of all total rewards programs to ensure they remain competitive and sustainable.
- Build and maintain total compensation, employee benefits and rewards programs and strategies that are competitive, cost effective, sustainable, and meet the evolving needs of employees.
- Integrate compensation programs with performance management to build a high performance, rewards-based culture.
- Participate in the budgeting, forecasting and financial reporting of management and executive compensation programs and for active and post retirement benefits.
- Design and deliver an effective total rewards communication strategy.
- Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Business Administration, Human Resources, Actuarial or related field.
- CHRP or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of compensation experience
- Experienced total rewards practitioner in building a best-in-class organization known for hiring the best talent and developing employees to deliver extraordinary value to all stakeholders.
- Experience in a complex unionized environment is considered an asset
- Actuarial experience is considered an asset
- Significant experience with development of HR strategies and programs.
- Demonstrated expertise in executive compensation
- Demonstrated expertise in the design, delivery, and communication of total rewards programs, particularly pension.
- Demonstrated expertise in pay equity
- Strong knowledge and ability to build and manage short and long term compensation programs that align goals, individual and company performance.
- Strategic capabilities beyond HR. Attentive to the industry, HR and core practice developments that will affect the human capital plan and the proven ability to apply that knowledge to impact both long-term strategy as well as day-to-day operations.
- Thorough understanding of corporate strategy, business needs, strategic planning, and exceptional people management skills.
- Proven leader of HR programs to ensure Total Rewards programs are designed to meet business requirements.
- Ability to inspire credibility and trust with the board of directors, all levels of management, and employees.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to influence at all levels, build consensus amongst stakeholders towards common goals and objectives.
- Strong analytic and decision making skills, with a proven ability to provide well thought out recommendations and advice.
- Strong drive for results and sense of priority; data and metrics-driven.
- Strong change management and project management skills.
- Strong ability to lead a cross-functional business team.
- Strong assessor of talent with proven experience in managing and upgrading talent.
- Proven ability to plan, organize and prioritize the workload of a team.
- Proven promoter of good working environment for staff, relationships across the organization and with external clients.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Exceptional results orientation with a high degree of personal initiative and very hands on, flexible and customer centric attitude.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking capability and business acumen.
- Ability to effectively interface with all levels of management and employees.
- Ability to manage change and high stress situations
- Ability to re-prioritize work quickly based on changing demands
- Demonstrated ability to navigate successfully in a fast paced, multi-tasking, dynamic organization along with significant influence/negotiation skills with executives.
Work location is based out of our Head Office in Ottawa. Remote work is required during the pandemic. Alternate work location may be considered under flexible work arrangements.
We require drug screening for all candidates offered positions designated as safety sensitive in accordance with NAV CANADA’s Drug and Alcohol policy. This role has been designated safety sensitive.