A GLOBAL MEDIA COMPANY TELLING
CAPTIVATING STORIES TO AUDIENCES EVERYWHERE
Blue Ant Media is a privately held content producer, distributor and TV channel operator. We own and operate numerous production companies in North America and Asia-Pacific, creating content for broadcasters and streaming platforms in multiple genres including factual entertainment, natural history, documentary, adult animation and drama. Our distribution business, Blue Ant International, offers a substantial catalogue of content, including one of the world's largest 4K natural history offerings. Blue Ant Media operates channels under nine brands including Love Nature, Smithsonian Channel Canada, BBC Earth (Canada) and more. Blue Ant Media is headquartered in Toronto, with seven international offices in Los Angeles, New York, Singapore, Tokyo, London, Washington DC and Beijing.
Our productions and media brands are a product of our employees who are passionate experts in all of these areas. They are fanatical about creating outstanding content and experiences; and enthusiastic about delivering it on new and evolving platforms.
We actively seek out people who embody our core values: optimism, creativity, entrepreneurism, agility and integrity. We attract creative talents who are optimistic about the evolving future of content and who take pride in seeing opportunity where others see challenges. We encourage employees to think like small business owners by taking ownership on projects and giving them the flexibility to take risks and embrace an evolving media landscape. Our team members excel at collaborating with internal and external partners and our culture fosters sharing ideas and treating all people with respect.
Head of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Reporting to the CEO, Blue Ant Media and Vice President, Human Resources, we are excited to be hiring a strategic Equity leader to join our organization. This individual will work closely with our senior leadership team and Global Diversity Council to advise and support on the company’s ongoing work; and provide leadership and input as we continue our efforts towards creating a more diverse, equitable and inclusive company. This role will also advise and interact with our Board of Directors. Experience in strategic planning, coaching employees at all levels, leading and advising teams, responding to employee feedback and influencing change are all key competencies for this role.
Core Responsibilities & Duties:
1. As a member of Blue Ant Media’s senior leadership team, this role will work with peers
and business leadership groups to advise on corporate and business unit equity goals and organizational priorities. The candidate will liaise closely with the business units on an on-going basis, to provide input and guidance as needed
2. Executive sponsor for the Employment Equity Committee in Toronto and Global Diversity Council – provides leadership to the committee and council, including a work plan. The committee and council provide a sounding board and feedback for work in the equity portfolio and take their direction from this role. The successful candidate for this role will work with these groups on their involvement in achieving goals they would like to recommend be implemented in the company
3. Key point person to external organizations Blue Ant works with on our diversity commitments and initiatives. Makes recommendations on optimal use of Blue Ant’s financial and people resources to support the mandates of these organizations and works with our various internal teams to execute
4. Prepares and delivers diversity reports and updates to share with the Board, business unit all team meetings, and global Town Halls
5. Detailed review and involvement with recruitment process to ensure diverse candidates are being reached, interviewed, recruited, retained, promoted and succeed within the organization
6. Works closely with the Production teams to ensure inclusive and equitable environments while filming and in post-production, in adherence to Blue Ant’s diversity commitments to the talent and crew and broadcaster/partner diversity requirements. This includes, but is not limited to, facilitating educational sessions prior to filming; and advising and providing input in response to any questions that are raised
7. Organizes/facilitates sessions for the organization as you see fit, to continue the education and progress towards creating a more diverse, inclusive and equitable organization
8. Reviews current communication tactics (including use of the Workplace Diversity Hub) and makes recommendations for plans moving forward and assists with the operationalizing of these plans
9. Provides input into reporting and filing on Employment Equity, Pay Equity and Accessibility requirements.
10. Works closely with the H.R. team to provide input into existing employee programs and new programs prior to launch
11. Actively engages with our teams globally by listening, tracking and monitoring concerns from Blue Ant Media’s employees and partners. Updates colleagues and peers with what they are hearing and any recommendations they think could assist in addressing these concerns or assisting with any changes
Qualifications & Experience:
- DEI leadership experience with a track record of designing and delivering programs and solutions to further drive an inclusive and equitable culture
- Understands change management and anticipates and plans for potential barriers when influencing change
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical abilities with a strong focus on driving for results
- Ability to work at both a strategic and tactical level
- Connected to other DEI leaders to share thought leadership and best practices globally
- Highly resourceful and agile
- Ability to initiate and partake in challenging conversations with a constructive approach when required
- Excellent interpersonal, influence and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- An adept listener who can build trust and respect
- A proactive leader whose opinions and thoughts are sought out by others in the organization
- Continuous improvement and learning mindset.
- Works as a collaborative project team leader and member
- Influencing change for a global organization considered an asset
- Experience in the media industry or other creative, fast moving, entrepreneurial focused organizations also considered an asset
Blue Ant Media celebrates diversity in both its programming and workforce. We encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds who are eligible to work in Canada. Candidates with lived experiences of oppression are desired.
We thank all candidates for their interest in Blue Ant Media and we will reach out to those candidates that are under consideration. If you are contacted for an interview and require an accommodation during the recruitment process, please advise Human Resources.