The Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator will be directly responsible for the health, safety, ergonomics, and environmental impacts of the company. This position is also responsible for addressing employee concerns as they arise. They must remain composed under pressure and may work casual overtime or flex hours as required to meet deadlines. They must also be able to work independently, organize/prioritize, and work with a sense of urgency and tact/discretion.
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in any field with 3 years of professional level Occupational Health and Safety experience OR a 2-year diploma (or certificate) in Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent from a recognized academic institution.
- Have a strong understanding of and experience in Health & Safety (H&S) programs in accordance with the O.H.S.A.
- Hands on experience with WSIB, Return to work programs and disability case management.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment and/or related field.
- Able to be flexible in hours of work to meet internal/external customer requirements (scheduled and non-scheduled over-time shifts, etc.).
- Strong interpersonal skills, both verbal and written.
- Experience in compliance audits relating to Health and Safety, Ergonomics, Environmental.
- Exhibit a high degree of confidentiality.
- Must have strong computer skills in Microsoft Office.
- Maintain updates in specified field technology and legislative changes.
- Interact well with co-workers and promote the “Team” attitude.
- Effectively deal with employee concerns with respect to safe and healthful workplace, environmental, and communication of information.
- Act as a resource/consultant to Team Leaders, Supervisors, Managers, and top Management with regard to policies, legislation, in regard to Environmental/Health and Safety to ensure the fair and reasonable implementation and interpretation of these policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate a maturity of judgment, leadership skills, attention to detail and exceptional organizational, listening, communication and presentation skills in all aspects of the job function.
- Manages industrial environment aspects of the work site; ie. waste/by-product analysis for required disposal, emission discharge approvals, emergency preparedness and response plan, etc.
- Works with contractors to ensure compliance in environmental and health and safety policy and procedures
- Maintains Environmental, Health and Safety (Ergonomics) management systems
- Managing of H&S/Environmental legislative compliance and acts as a liaison with government agencies and corporate in the interest of the company’s health and safety/environmental affairs.
- Manages and administers professional services to ensure maintenance of accurate records to provide documentation and accountability in support of findings and conclusions.
- Calculates and reports sample findings factually, respecting confidences, advises honestly and reports finding and recommendations.
- Organizes and is the gate keeper in all H&S, Ergonomic, and Environmental audits.
- Assists in coordinating of health and safety/environmental training of personnel as it pertains to their position in the company and the health and safety/environmental management system.
- Facilitates the coordination/meeting for the JHSC, Ergonomics and Energy Committee; and makes recommendations as required.
- Assists with the development, coordination and maintenance of Venest safety policies/procedures/programs and ensures consistency in communication.
- Participates in the investigation of accidents/incidents and follows up to ensure completion of recommendations. Cooperates in the preparation of material/evidence for use in hearings and insurance investigations.
- Analysis of accident statistics/type/frequency/severity and makes recommendations as required.
- Promotes/recommends continuous improvement suggestions including environment, people, processes and equipment/machinery.
- Develops and presents Health, Safety and Environmental programs and procedures to all employees.
- Follows, adheres and assists in meeting the requirements of IATF-16949, ISO14001, ISOS45001, EHS Corporate Standards, and MAFACT as required.
- Participate in new employee orientation in regards to Environmental and H&S programs.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Venest Industries has an accommodation program in place that provides reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities. If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability or a medical need, please contact Human Resources.