The Ministry and Employment Unit of The United Church of Canada is seeking an individual to fill the role of Learning and Development Lead, on a full-time (35 hours/week) permanent basis.
The General Council Office supports the mission and ministry of the communities of faith and regional councils. It is the denominational expression of The United Church of Canada, working ecumenically and in global partnership.
The Ministry and Employment Unit ensures that the employment, compensation, and pastoral relations policies established by the General Council are upheld and federal/provincial employment standards are met. It oversees payroll services for both the pastoral charges and the General Council Office and Regional Council staff. The Office of Vocation, which is responsible for the assessment, candidacy and accreditation of ministry personnel, the standards of practice and ongoing oversight and, when necessary, discipline, of ministry personnel, is nested in the unit. Also, part of the unit is the governance and administration of the Pension Plan of The United Church of Canada.
We’re on a mission to build a culture of continuous learning and professional development in the United Church of Canada. This role will prioritize developing a resilient workforce that adapts to continuous change and seeks out self-directed learning opportunities to provide greater employee satisfaction and organizational innovation. The main areas of focus are:
- Learning and Development
- Performance Management & Succession Planning
- Recruitment & Talent Selection
- HR Planning
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, education, experience and ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Degree in a field related to learning and development
- Knowledge of adult learning principles including experience in adult education;
- Experience designing and interpreting performance measurement and assessment tools;
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in diversity, equity, and inclusion, including related human rights legislation as it applies to the workplace;
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills together with presentation and public speaking skills;
- Strong technical ability and familiarity with office information systems such as Excel, MS Dynamics 365, SharePoint, DocuSign, etc.;
- Strong project management skills;
- A life-long learner with a willingness to keep up-to-date on new techniques in adult learning;
- Experience or familiarity with public sector or non-profit sector is an asset;
- Bilingualism (French/English) is an asset.
As part of our ongoing commitment to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, The United Church of Canada will aid employees who request accommodation throughout their employment with us, unless the position is deemed to be a bona fide occupational requirement and/or to the point of undue hardship considering issues of health, safety and cost.
This position works from the General Council Office located in Toronto, Ontario in an open area concept office under normal working conditions. They interact with lay staff, ministry personnel, volunteers, executive officers. Manual dexterity required to use laptop computer and peripherals. This position requires sitting and viewing a computer screen for long periods, keyboarding/using voice recognition software, intermittent physical activity including sitting, standing, and lifting (up to 20 lbs.) and being on the phone for long periods. Occasional overtime may be required.
Salary will be based on skills and experience, within the category 8 position range of $71,636.08 to $95,515.18. A defined benefit pension and group health and dental benefit plans coverage and annual vacation round out this compensation package.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit their resume, quoting the job number to Human Resources, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org