Job Title: Director, HR and Operations
Reporting to: SVP, Finance & Operations
Type: Permanent (fulltime hours)
Start Date: ASAP
Application Deadline: February 4, 2022
Location of Work: 18 Logan Avenue, Toronto
Direct Reports: Receptionist/Office PA and Part-time Staff and Interns
Shaftesbury is an award-winning creator and producer of original content for television, film, and digital. Shaftesbury's current slate includes 14 seasons of Murdoch Mysteries for CBC, Acorn TV, and UKTV, four seasons of critically acclaimed horror series Slasher, four seasons of Hudson & Rex for Citytv/Rogers Sports and Media, and two seasons of Departure for Global/Corus Entertainment, starring Emmy® Award-winner Archie Panjabi and the late Academy Award®-winner Christopher Plummer.
Reporting to the SVP, Finance & Operations, the Director, HR and Operations is accountable for providing expert advice, leadership, planning, direction and effective management of the various functional areas within the HR and Office Operations portfolios. This position oversees and implements HR policies, practices and programs for employee relations both at the corporate office and the various productions, employment, compensation, recruitment, benefits. The Senior Director, HR and Operations ensures compliance with employment laws, COVID-19 protocols and best practices. The Operations responsibilities account for approximately 20% of the workload and include managing the day-to-day administrative office functions, including management of our outsourced Information Technology to ensure the office and satellite offices office runs smoothly.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees effective DEI and hiring process, including but not limited to posting all jobs, reviewing applicants before hiring, approving contracts/salaries, participating in interviews for high-level positions, approving background checks, and providing oversight of the review of new hire paperwork.
- On board all new employees.
- Create a plan to digitize the HR functions.
- Arrange for Respect in the Workplace and Anti-Racism training sessions at the start of all productions.
- Ongoing maintenance of all employees’ records, vacations and sick leaves.
- Update and manage corporate policies and procedures, including DEI, Covid 19 and update as necessary.
- Review employee grievances and investigations, determining resolutions and escalating or conducting further investigations if necessary for both corporate and productions.
- Develop and write new policies, procedures, and best practices to support the desired organizational strategy, structure, and legal requirements.
- Develop, implement, and monitor performance management programs.
- Create employment contracts for approval of the SVP, Finance & Operations.
- Manage and review all employee plans, including benefits (all) and Health and Wellness (Senior Management).
- Oversees AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities) requirements and completes the government reports.
- Effectively manage the administrative budget for the company of approximately $150,000 per year.
- Ensure office lease and insurance arrangements are appropriate and up to date.
- Manage our outsourced IT vendor for Shaftesbury and is responsible for IT support and effective levels of service.
- Purchase new computers and arrange for set-ups, decommissioning, replacing of computers/equipment.
- Maintain up-to-date records of software licensing and IT equipment and renewals.
- Oversee the ordering and maintaining of the Shaftesbury Domains/URL's.
- Manage all outside service companies, i.e., internet, phone, security, maintenance and repairs for issues and is responsible for high service levels.
- Organize and prepare for any office renovations/repairs/changes.
Qualifications and Experience
- A people leader with 15+ years of HR Generalist experience.
- Experience with DEI strategy.
- Previous office management experience would be an asset.
- Ability to manage a dual portfolio (Office and HR) at the strategic and tactical levels.
- A proactive approach to problem-solving with a capacity to define and solve problems quickly.
- Ability to think strategically and translate concepts into actionable items.
- An ability to build relationships with C-level executives, potential board members, and top talent.
- Strong business acumen with the ability to create winning strategies that advance the development of our teams.
- Expertise in designing salary, benefits, and compensation strategies that motivate employees while remaining fair and equitable across the organization.
- Strong understanding of Canadian employment law and regulations.
- A collaborator, effective at developing strong credibility and working relationships with all levels.
- A leadership style that inspires trust and helps to get the best out of both leaders and individual contributors.
- Strong presentation and organizational skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by February 4, 2022, and indicate “Director, HR and Operations” in the subject line.
Shaftesbury is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shaftesbury employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of being eligible for the recruitment process. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required. If you are not able to obtain COVID-19 vaccination for a reason related to a protected ground of discrimination under applicable human rights legislation, you can request accommodation from Shaftesbury.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted. No telephone calls please.