Our bottom line is different.
There’s something special about working at ATB, and it’s been recognized on every top employer list that matters. Maybe it’s our exceptional culture where your total wellness is supported through market-leading benefits and you’re free to bring your whole self to work. Maybe it’s our commitment to a growth mindset and our unrelenting thirst for making it possible for fellow Albertans—even the ones who aren’t our clients.
Whatever it is, you won’t find a more genuine, driven and knowledgeable group of humans anywhere. We foster a culture of purpose, performance and possibilities. We engage with intense curiosity, and bring our whole selves to work, every day. We know it starts with people like you, so take a chance and start with us.
Department: People & Culture
Job Number: REQ4195
Location: This is a fully remote opportunity. Travel to Edmonton/Calgary will be required for up to 5 days per quarter. #LI-Remote
Apply by: July 10, 2022
Paygrade: M-OTH (Senior Compensation Consultant) or N-OTH (Director, Compensation), dependent on skills & experience
# Positions available: 2
Leader: Managing Director, Compensation
As ATB’s next Director, Compensation / Senior Compensation Consultant, you will partner with People and Culture’s Consulting Team (HR generalists supporting the business) to provide in-depth compensation consultation to one of ATB’s Areas of Expertise (AOEs). Your subject matter expertise and advice will be provided in a collaborative fashion, to support strategic priorities. You will consult on all aspects of compensation: application of ATB’s compensation philosophy and principles, management of compensation structures, incentive and commission plan design, market competitive compensation and execution of annual compensation activities.
These newly-created roles within the Compensation team will directly support 2 of ATB's Areas of Expertise -- ATB Wealth and ATB Business -- and their unique needs. The ideal candidates will have expertise in compensation management and design, combined with relevant business knowledge gained through either advising, or working in, these sectors.
ATB's Areas of Expertise (AOEs)
ATB Wealth’s commitment and connection to Albertans to help them succeed, combined with our world-class advice-led offer and solutions, make us the choice for nearly 90,000 Albertans and an industry-leading wealth firm in Canada. Over the past 20 years, we have created undeniable value by helping clients plan for all life’s moments and providing the greatest chance of achieving the returns they need, while managing the risk. We will continue to lead the wealth industry through a human-centric advisory approach, inclusive of sound philosophies, deep relationships and earned trust
ATB Business focuses on business banking and capital markets. Business banking provides industry-leading financial advice and solutions to businesses, with market expertise in Alberta’s oil field service sector, real estate, agriculture, diversified industries and rural markets. ATB Capital Markets provides investment banking and financial services, combining local market and industry specialization with global knowledge and an international reach. The ATB Business team delivers a differentiated and remarkable experience for our clients, ensuring we are there to partner with them along their journey in the best way possible. Business’s system and growth strategies are designed to be highly attuned to the marketplace and allow us to adapt to a changing economic landscape.
Responsibilities of the Director / Senior Compensation Consultant role:
- Is immediately and remains hungry to learn and understand ATB’s business, industry, human capital competitors, strategy, practices and processes, in service of their impact on ATB clients
- Provides consulting services on complex compensation issues, internally to P&C and externally to executives and leaders in ATB Wealth or ATB Business.
- Uses relevant compensation knowledge and expertise to align compensation design to business strategy and priorities
- Interprets compensation philosophy and principles to make recommendations on compensation design. Considers the synergies recommendations will have with existing compensation operational procedures.
- Leads significant compensation projects with multiple phases and deliverables, potentially spanning fiscal years.
- Acts as a Change Enabler by consistently applying ATB’s change method and tools when planning for and executing change
- Identifies and tracks measures of change success and project outcomes
- Collaborates with project management, delivery enablement, change management and communication experts
- Monitors and reviews current compensation plans to determine effectiveness; recommending refinements and redesigns, as appropriate
- Analyses, interprets and marries data and anecdotal insights to drive recommendations & decisions
- Monitors external practices, trends and leading thinking as a lens for potential application to or impact on ATB
- In collaboration with the AOE and People and Culture’s Consulting Team, prepares and assists in presenting new or material changes in compensation plans to ATB’s Compensation Executive Steering Committee
- Continually engages with ATB Compensation Team Leaders and other Compensation Specialists to seek input, check assumptions, discuss dependencies, refine recommendations and share updates.
- Deep compensation expertise with compensation and incentive design experience
- Skilled consultant with a focus on making recommendations based on understanding and analysis with a goal to improving business effectiveness and ensuring stakeholder commitment
- Wealth management industry experience
- Commercial or corporate banking or capital markets industry experience
- Inherent desire to mentor and share knowledge
- In-depth understanding of the holistic role total rewards plays in an organization’s employee value proposition
Interpersonal Skills and Communication
- Active listening
- Collaboration in a matrix environment
- Clear and succinct written communication
- Engaging and credible verbal communication
- Highly comfortable providing compensation advice in a complex, ever evolving industry
- Gives and receives feedback
- Learns and uses digital tools - asset: Google Suite experience
- Applies a first “seek to understand” approach and clarifies “why?”
- Asks tough, thought provoking questions in a productive way and encourages others to do the same
- Ability to straddle the worlds of strategic thinking and detailed analysis
- Experience in a formal, structured project management and/ or change management methodology
- Business acumen
- Influential, empathetic and self-aware trusted advisor
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, Management, Organizational Behaviour or related field
- Asset: Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) - Chartered Professional in Human Resources of Alberta
- Asset: Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) - Human Resources Professionals Association
- Asset: Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) - World at Work Society of Certified Professionals
- Asset: Certified Sales Compensation Professional (CSCP) - World at Work Society of Certified Professionals
- Asset: Canadian Securities Institute Designation and Certifications - e.g. Canadian Securities Course (CSC)
At ATB, we know that as you develop in your career, you gain many transferable skills. If you believe your experience and qualities are a match for this position, please consider applying.
Be great. Be you. Believe.
We are dedicated to building a workforce reflective of the diversity within our communities and creating an environment where every team member has what they need to reach their potential. We encourage candidates from all equity-seeking groups to apply.
What happens next?
Thank you for applying online. If you are shortlisted for this opportunity, you will hear from us after the posting close date regarding next steps. We might ask you to participate in a digital interview or phone interview. If you require any accommodations, please let us know.
All ATB Financial team members are required to disclose their vaccination status and provide proof of vaccination as a condition of employment to help support client and team member safety.
Stay in touch!
ATB is excited to know you’re interested in a career with us! Follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram to get the inside scoop on what our team is up to.