Wasteco is seeking qualified applications for the full-time position of:
Director, Human Resources
The Director, Human Resources is in charge of developing and executing the Company’s human resources strategy and day-to-day management of human resource services. This role is responsible to provide effective leadership, customer service, and efficient management of all areas of human resource services, including but not limited to, employee and labour relations, recruitment and retention, training and development, HR policies and procedures, health and safety, compensation programs, and benefit plan administration.
Essential Job Tasks
Human Resources/Labour Relations
- Advise and support managers and employees in day-to-day matters, providing guidance and coaching on a broad range of HR subject-matter (recruitment, performance management, discipline/termination, conflict resolution, HR administration, health and safety, training, etc.).
- Support and participate in (at times lead) the employee full-cycle recruitment and onboarding process and ensure hiring practices are followed (e.g., legislation, collective agreements, HR policy).
- Ensure legislative compliance is maintained including but not limited to the ESA, AODA, OLRA, OHSA, OHRC and any other applicable legislation.
- Develop and administer terms and conditions of employment for non-union employee groups.
- Provide knowledgeable advice and counsel regarding the administration and interpretation of the collective agreement and/or applicable legislation and/or MOA’s and/or settlements.
- In consultation with the employer bargaining committee, participate in and coordinate the collective bargaining processes, including planning, research and preparation.
- Manage the grievance/arbitration process, which may include preparing employer responses, conducting grievance hearings, maintaining complete records and/or consulting with legal counsel.
- Ensure accurate and timely implementation of agreements from time to time (e.g., CBA, MOA’s).
- Maintain and update seniority lists in accordance with the collective agreement.
- Respond to HR-related complaints and assist (or lead) the investigations process. Prepare reports and recommendations as deemed necessary.
- Build effective working relationships across the organization and multiple site locations, ensuring there’s a known HR presence across the Company, engaging with employees at all levels.
- Oversee the development and implementation of HR policies and procedures.
- Participate on committees as assigned (Labour-Management (LMC), JHSC, etc.).
- Develop and implement training and professional development programs for managers and supervisors. Assist with development and/or coordination of employee training as requested.
- Maintain training records for employee training and professional development.
- Manage the yearly performance evaluation processes and evaluations for probationary employees.
- Develop and maintain accurate, complete and up-to-date HR and employee files and maintain historical HR records by creating a filing system.
- Assist the Director, Health and Safety as may be required from time to time, with the management and coordination of workplace injuries, WSIB reporting and return to work processes.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism and maintain confidentiality at all times.
Benefits and Compensation Administration
- Oversee the provision and administration of group health benefit plans.
- Research and evaluate benefit needs and trends and make recommendations regarding benefit programs to management. Obtain and evaluate benefit contract bids from time to time.
- Maintain and track eligibility listings and complete enrolment/termination activities.
- Provide technical support in the administration of compensation policies and practices.
- Develop/update job descriptions and ensure they are accurate and current.
- Research comparator non-union and union salary information and surveys at regular intervals to ensure the organizations’ pay practices remain competitive in the marketplace.
- Remain current with regard to professional and technical knowledge/standards and emerging trends in HR, employment law, etc.
- Responsible for collection, analysis and reporting of workforce related metrics as required.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Ability to maintain confidentiality of work.
- Must have a valid Ontario Driver’s licence and access to reliable transportation.
- Presentation of a current criminal record check.
For more information about Wasteco please visit us online at www.wasteco.com
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter, along with salary expectations, via email to
brock@ colterhr.ca (this position will remain open until filled).
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.