Human Resources at MacEwen
MacEwen is a Canadian-owned and operated fuel and convenience provider that takes a personalized approach to business. For over 45 years, MacEwen has successfully built and sustained customer relationships in Ontario and Quebec based on our philosophy of local people serving local people. Founded in 1976 as a wholesale operation providing gasoline and heating oil to customers in Maxville, Ontario and surrounding rural regions, MacEwen has grown into one of Canada’s leading independent fuel and convenience store companies, with over 140 retail locations with local roots in their communities. We proudly identify as a family business and embrace our rural heritage by giving back to programs and initiatives in the communities we serve.
The company is continuing to enjoy robust growth and development and to support this we are adding to the HR team. The HR Team supports over 300 employees within two distinct companies and three divisions. The range of HR services is hosted in-house from the MacEwen head office in Maxville, Ontario, though weekly occasional travel will be required to the Retail Office in Ottawa, and other Divisional locations on occasion. Upon completion of an initial period of learning about our business and operations, this role will move to a hybrid, with the goal of two days in the Maxville Office, two days working from home and one day each week in Ottawa.
This full-time role supports the Retail and Corporate Services Divisions providing support to Managers and Employees on all human resources activities, including recruitment, onboarding, performance management, benefits administration, engagement and recognition.
Recruitment and Selection
- Works with Managers to identify and respond to talent acquisition and recruitment processes.
- Owns the recruitment and selection process, which includes the elements of:
- Posts opportunities to drive quality applications.
- Undertakes preliminary shortlisting and telephone interviews.
- Coordinates the interview process in discussion with Managers.
- Maintains competition files and corresponds with candidates.
- Attends and leads, when required, the interview process.
- Obtains references, record checks and other.
- Arranges pre-employment tests.
- Assigns training classes and provides system accesses.
- Prepares letters of response.
- Assists the Director, HR in the preparation of offers of employment.
- Works with Managers to prepare consistent onboarding standards.
- Follows up during the employees' initial 8-weeks.
- Supports Managers with the implementation of robust onboarding plans.
- Works with Managers to support the performance of their teams through reviews, training, coaching guidance and accountability.
- Works on engagement and recognition initiatives that reinforce and promote the culture for the Company.
Training and Development
- Works with the HR team and Managers to determine the training needs of the divisions, sources, coordinates and evaluates the training and ROI.
- Accesses training funding through Government subsidy programs to maximize training dollars.
Benefit and Payroll Administration
- Answers inquiries and ensures that employees requests are completed, and contributions are accurately documented, and action is taken.
Human Resources Administration
- Updates employee data as required for payroll, benefit and retirement savings plans.
- Assists with the employee newsletter and communications.
- Creates employee correspondence as required.
- Participates in the H&S Committee, with the goal of taking the HR lead.
- Undertakes research for new legislation, policies and projects.
- And any other duties which may reasonably be required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required to be Successful
- Post-secondary education in Human Resource Management is required.
- 2 years’ general HR experience, with an emphasis on recruitment.
- CHRP or working towards is required.
- Customer centric attitude. We take care of our customers.
- The ability to communicate effectively in both official languages is desirable.
- Must be a self-starter and proactive.
- Highly effective time-management skills and ability to handle multiple projects at once.
- Ability to demonstrate integrity and confidentiality is critical.
- This role requires occasional travel to other Company locations to assist in onboarding, communication and presentations.