Position Description: Manager of Human Resources
Job Summary: Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Manager of Human Resources is responsible for overseeing all human resources services including employee and labour relations, collective bargaining, talent acquisition and retention, organizational development, HR policy and procedure development, compensation, and benefits. This position requires the highest level of confidentiality and discretion as the duties involve highly sensitive and personal matters. The Manager of Human Resources provides professional advice and support to the CAO and the Management team and is part of the Senior Management team.
• Develop, consult, and provide expertise, advice and guidance to the CAO and Management in matters related to key areas of responsibility [i.e., staffing, recruitment, performance management, disability management, policies, procedures and protocols, total rewards, change management and compensation]
• Provide effective management and leadership of staff, including hiring, motivating, identifying staffing needs, conducting performance evaluations and disciplinary action
• Manage development, implementation and maintenance of Human Resources policies and procedures
• Oversee the provision and administration of payroll and benefits
• Coordinate and oversee the job evaluation/pay equity maintenance processes for Unionized and Non-Union groups
• Lead the collective bargaining team in the development of proposals and strategies for bargaining with the Union group
• Provide operational assistance and subject matter expertise in the negotiations and grievance/arbitration processes.
• Respond to HR related complaints (e.g. Bullying, Harassment, Code of Conduct violations, Disrespect etc.) and conducts workplace investigations, as required
• Ensures mandated training is conducted and documented
• Responsible for the preparation of the People strategy budget for the Township and authorizes expenditures in keeping with corporate financial policies and procedures, ensuring fiscal responsibility
• Assumes a role in the Township’s Emergency Control Group when activated and participates in Emergency Response
• Participates on the following committees: Senior Management, Management, Labour Management, and Inter-Municipal Human Resources Committee
• Assumes other duties which may be assigned by the Chief Administrative Officer
Supervision: No Direct reports
Education and Experience Required:
• Undergraduate degree with a professional HR designation (CHRP/CHRL] and a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a progressively responsible management position OR
• Diploma in Human Resource Management or related field with a professional HR designation (CHRP/CHRL) and seven (7) years’ experience in a progressively responsible management position
• Experience in a unionized work environment, required.
• Previous management experience, required.
• Previous experience working in a municipal environment, preferred
• Knowledge and experience with employment law and labour legislation, such as the Employment Standards Act; Labour Relations Act; Ontario Human Rights Code; Occupational Health and Safety Act; Pay Equity Act; and other relevant legislation and/or regulations
• Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively lead, influence and motivate others.
• Strong consultation/facilitation, communication, and strategic thinking skills
• Excellent judgement and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
• Strong computer skills in MS Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Satisfactory acceptable Criminal Records Check/Vulnerable Sector Search
• Class “G” driver license in good standing, have access to a reliable vehicle for use on corporate business and be able to provide a current acceptable driver’s abstract
• Completion of the Basic Emergency Management course or willingness to obtain with 1 year of hire
• Part 1 and Part 2 JHSC Certification or willingness to obtain with 1 year of hire
• Proof of up-to-date vaccination against COVID-19. Pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Township will provide accommodation where such requests are substantiated
• Office environment
• Carry an appropriate communications device to respond to corporate emergencies and departmental situations in a timely manner