Mission Statement The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
Vision Statement We are an innovative partner, mobilized to share hope wherever there is hardship, building communities that are just and know the love of Jesus.
Core Values The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
The Benefits Coordinator will synchronize and administer the Company centralized group benefit and retirement programs. This position reports to the Territorial Benefits Manager, and is responsible for ensuring The Salvation Army provides group benefit coverage and retirement contributions to eligible employees across the territory.
Benefits Planning and Consultation:
- Develop standardized information materials, packages and communications that easily communicate benefit and retirement program information to all levels of the company
- Provide advisory services to Ministry Units, Divisional Headquarters and individual employees regarding benefit questions such as eligibility, coordination of benefits, dependant information, family and single coverage etc.
Benefits Administration and Coordination:
- Manage the administration of employee benefit programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability programs and retirement program contributions
- Verify eligibility and participation of employees in all benefit and retirement programs in
accordance with Salvation Army policies and provider agreements
- Administer the employee enrollment process ensuring eligible employees understand their
options under the various plans and that all necessary information including beneficiary designation is collected
- Establish and coordinate the information flow and standard procedures required to collect
and ensure the privacy of documentation as it pertains to the administration of benefits and retirement programs within the organization
- Responsible for maintaining the integrity and privacy of information within the HRIS and /or
hard copy enrollment information as it pertains to benefits and retirement program
- Administer the bi-annual renewal of the benefit program “Taking Care” across the territory
- Liaise with Insurance carrier representatives and other stakeholders to provide problem resolution for employees experiencing benefits related issues
- Provide support to other HRIS users by troubleshooting errors as required
- Prepare and distribute reports, employee manuals, benefit package descriptions, and other publications
- Enrol and Update Benefit Information in the HRIS
- Field calls and inquiries from employees, managers and/or supervisors regarding benefits coverage and retirement program administration
- Process adjustments to payroll for benefit and RRSP deductions as required
Analysis and Reporting:
- Conduct regular analysis of benefit and retirement program information to ensure proper enrollment of all eligible benefits. Follow up with Ministry Units and Divisional Headquarters regarding any discrepancies.
- Provide excellent customer service by responding to queries dealing with benefits and/or
retirement programs, verbally, in person, via telephone or e-mail
- Reconcile employee/employer payroll deductions and contributions with monthly statements
- Compare current system data with paper documentation received from the field and
identify discrepancies for follow up through Ministry Units and/or Divisional Headquarters
- Prepare monthly reports and remittances and cheque requests for group insurance payments
- Prepare financial documents for payment of external vendors
- Prepare documents for national distribution
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- University degree from a recognized institution
- Course work contributing to a Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS) designation is
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office software, particularly Excel
- Knowledge of income tax forms, health benefits programs, sick pay, retirement plans, etc.
- More than 3 years of prior related experience in the field of benefits and group retirement program administration, preferably in a large non-profit sector organization
- Experience working within a unionized environment is preferred with strong knowledge of group benefit principles and experience with group benefits administration
- Good analytical skills
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Handling confidential information
- Strong customer service orientation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior attention to detail
- Ability to deal effectively with all levels of personnel
- Must be able to establish credibility quickly within the organization as a trusted advisor
- Able to work in a consultative, diplomatic and tactful manner
- Strong sense of integrity with professional ethics and a balanced sense of fairness and flexibility
- Seeks common ground in navigating challenging issues and constructively manages conflict to create win-win solutions wherever possible
- Able to proactively recognize potential risks and issues, respond with solutions and engage others in implementing change
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - clear and simple to understand
- Effective organizational and time management skills – self-motivated and disciplined self-starter
- Possesses both operational and strategic business acumen
- Respect and understanding of The Salvation Army - its mission, culture, and values
- Bilingual (English/French) Preferred
The Salvation Army will provide reasonable accommodation upon request. Please let us know if you have a need for any accommodation.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted. Internal Applicants, must advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.