Client Organization: City of Sault Ste. Marie
Position Title: Director, Human Resources
Reports to: City Solicitor
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, ON
THE CITY OF SAULT STE. MARIE
Nestled in the heart of the Great Lakes, and with a population of just over 73,000, Sault Ste. Marie – “the Soo,” as it’s affectionately known – is a stunningly picturesque community combining the best elements of big-city living with the splendor and tranquility of its northern Ontario location. Surrounded by breathtaking landscapes, Sault Ste. Marie is where “outdoor” and “adventure” meet. Wind your way through rivers, lakes and streams; discover cliffs, caves and canyons. Or head out on one of countless hiking and biking trails through lush forests. Mountain biking, hiking, camping, canoeing, kayaking, rock climbing, ice climbing, skiing, world-class fishing – it’s all a short walk, ride or drive from your front door. Also, known as being the 'Friendliest City in Algoma'.
With a broadly supported, progressive and active community plan and significant growth opportunity, Sault Ste. Marie is beginning an exciting stage. The City currently has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the province of Ontario and several substantial community projects focused on revitalizing the downtown, supporting our academic institutions, developing our energy infrastructure, and celebrating our First Nation relationships and history. The City has shown its commitment to attracting top talent by creating a dedicated website to highlight key employment opportunities, as well as promoting the City in general. Sault Ste. Marie is a transportation hub for travel by land, sea or sky. There is an international airport, direct access to the Trans-Canada Highway, and the United States is just a quick border-crossing away.
Swap stress for serenity – and find work-life balance – in a small city with big potential. Be a part of a safe, welcoming, and forward-looking community that offers a waterfront lifestyle, access to exceptional outdoor recreational activities, boundless nature and affordable housing.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Sault Ste. Marie was incorporated as a City in 1912, although its rich history dates to the 1600's. The City is governed by a Mayor (elected at large) and 10 Councillors; two from each of the five wards in the municipality. Council is elected for a four-year term. The Corporation provides employment to 1000+ individuals with a blend of both unionized and non-unionized staff members.
To be the leading innovative, dynamic, and efficient municipal corporation in the Province of Ontario.
Reporting to the City Solicitor, the Director, Human Resources will oversee a team of eight employees and be accountable for the strategic direction and priorities for the HR Division, providing overall strategic leadership and operational management of the people practices, policies and strategies. The Director will ensure a consistent service delivery through the modernization of standardized processes and participate in and support transformational initiatives and activities. The over-arching framework of civic service excellence will be achieved by enhancing employee and corporate performance through building leadership and employee capabilities to enhance performance and potential, building a learning organization and integrating best practices, and creating a people-oriented work environment that supports a high level of performance, commitment and pride. The Director, Human Resources is a trusted advisor, someone who leads by example, and collaborates with leaders across multiple lines of business to support the City’s services, programs, and key strategic objectives.
Goals and Objectives for the next 6-12 months:
- Ensure strong Human Resource support for the City
- Create a positive culture of trust for the department within the City
- Champion continuous improvement and increase efficiencies that align with corporate objectives while minimizing costs
- Maintain a culture of safety, confidentiality, inclusion, respect and compliance with legislative standards
- Develop and implement policies for the City and ensure proper interpretation and uniform application
- Develop and implement strategies in line with the City’s corporate strategic plan
- Create business plans for the attainment of goals and objectives set out by City Council
- Develop and administer programs as required by such governing legislation as the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Ontario Human Rights Code, Labour Relations Act, Pay Equity, Employment Standards Act, Working for Workers Act, etc.
- Oversee all Human Resource initiatives, systems, and tactics
- Liaise with Union representatives, local, provincial, federal union officials, and City management staff on human resources and labour relations matters
- Develop and administer the City's wage and salary administration program inclusive of job evaluation, external wage comparisons, pay equity and benefit programs
- Prepare departmental budget and controls expenditures
- Provide advice and direction with respect to the interpretation and application of human resources policy and legislation for all City staff
- Supervise the work of Human Resources personnel and provide guidance regarding compensation and benefits, recruitment and training, occupational health and safety, abilities management and labour relations, etc.
- Act as Chief Negotiator in collective bargaining with all unions and represent the City at rights and interest arbitrations
- Administer collective agreements inclusive of interpretation, grievances, and rights arbitration, and invoking disciplinary action when required Coordinate the preparation of departmental reports to City Council on changes, improvements, plans and projects and to make presentations to City Council on these matters, as required Anticipate, mitigate, and resolve litigation risks and seek legal advice/assistance when needed
- Supervise and manage employees in accordance with City policy and applicable collective agreements inclusive of ensuring satisfactory work performance, maintaining acceptable conduct, and taking appropriate disciplinary action
- Perform all other related duties
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
The City is looking for a proven leader who will, ideally, meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s or post-graduate degree preferred, with 10+ years’ experience in progressive leadership positions overseeing operations within Human Resources
- Strong labour relations experience and multiple years working in a management capacity within a unionized environment
- Experience working in a municipal environment would be an asset Human Resources designation such as CHRP, CHRL or equivalent would be preferred
- Valid class ‘G’ driver’s license A leader with a "best-practices" philosophy coupled with the ongoing pursuit of continuous improvement Highly experienced working with Microsoft Office Products (Office 365) with a strong aptitude and knowledge of new technologies and innovative solutions
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines, results-oriented
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills; effective decision-making skills
- Exceptional communicator and possesses strong written, verbal, and presentation skills; be effective in communicating with a range of stakeholders (staff and council) on a variety of issues
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of employment legislation and regulations
- Thorough knowledge of human resource management principles and best practices
- Business acumen (including data analysis and reporting) partnered with attention to the human element Diligent and firm with high ethical standards
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES AND LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES
Decision Making/Problem Solving
- Breaks down problems into components and recognizes interrelationships; makes sound, well-informed, and objective decisions
- Understands how an organization must change in light of internal and external trends and influences; keeps the big, long-range picture in mind; builds a shared long-range organizational vision with others
Guiding and Developing Staff
- Focuses and guiding others in accomplishing work objectives; rewards and recognizes others, both formally and informally, in ways that motivate them
- Comfortably delegates responsibilities, tasks, and decisions; appropriately trusts others to perform; provides support without removing responsibility
All City of Sault Ste. Marie employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's Vaccination Policy. Candidates of interest will be required to show proof of vaccination during the recruitment process.
If you are interested in being considered for this exciting and challenging leadership opportunity, please submit your expression of interest (cover letter and current resume) by email to Madiha Rashid, Senior Consultant, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “City of Sault Ste. Marie, Director HR” in the subject line.
Should you have any questions regarding this opportunity, please contact a member of the Project Team:
Jon Nagamatsu, Co-Partner email@example.com (416) 928-4542
Caroline McLean, Co-Partner firstname.lastname@example.org (416) 928-4539
Madiha Rashid, Senior Consultant email@example.com (416) 928-4549
About LHH Knightsbridge – www.lhhknightsbridge.com
LHH helps organizations simplify the complexity associated with transforming their leadership and workforce so they can accelerate results, with less risk.
As global leaders in Talent and Leadership Development, Career Solutions and Executive, Interim and Mid-Level Search, we assist organizations in finding new talent, and helping their employees navigate change, become better leaders, develop better careers, and transition into new jobs. We have the local expertise, global infrastructure, and industry leading technology and analytics required to simplify the complexity associated with executing critical talent and workforce initiatives, reducing brand and operational risk. Teams across Canada and around the world leverage our proven programs and global experience to deliver tailored solutions to clients that align talent with the needs of their business.