Coordinator of Human Resources & Corporate Services
Full-Time, Exempt, Permanent
Main Branch with occasional travel to other locations, and hybrid*
$76,128.37 (2019 rate, subject to review)
Exempt Grade D
January 16, 2023
35 hours per week, evenings and weekends may be required
November 23, 2022
December 7, 2022
Ajax Public Library is currently recruiting one (1) candidate for the position of Coordinator of Human Resources & Corporate Services (Full-Time). Under the direct supervision of the Manager of Corporate Services, and as part of the Library’s leadership team, the Coordinator of Human Resources & Corporate Services provides support for the Library’s corporate Human Resources functions, including recruitment, health and safety, accessibility, labour relations, job evaluation and facilities management functions.
Education and Experience
• Post-secondary diploma from an accredited community college in Business Administration or related discipline, with a focus on Human Resources management.
• CHRP designation is required.
• Minimum of five years’ relevant experience in the public sector or in a mid-sized not-for profit environment;
Library experience an asset
• Minimum of one years’ relevant supervisory experience, preferably in a unionized environment.
• Demonstrated ability to meet the required core competencies of the position.
• Demonstrated experience in executing the key duties of the position.
•Demonstrated experience in executing the key duties of the position.•Proven commitment to superior customer service.•Proven knowledge of the Windows-based Office computer environment with intermediate-level Microsoft Excel skills.•Detail-oriented, proactive thinker.•Familiar with an ISO environment and quality management.•Demonstrated experience with project management tools and software.•Experience monitoring and analyzing key performance metrics.
•Reports to the Manager of Corporate Services. When the incumbent is absent, theManager of Corporate Services or their designate assumes the duties andresponsibilities of this position. Provides assistance to the Manager of CorporateServices.
•Provides support for the Library’s Human Resource programs and initiatives:recruitment; and, assists with the administration of staff working conditions.
•Assists with facility maintenance.
•Makes recommendations to the Manager of Public Services on policies, proceduresand training related to customer service functions.
•Oversees day to day operations of facility cleaning.
•Applies and monitors compliance under AODA, ESA, OHSA and other relevantlegislation while performing job duties.
Human Resource Duties
•Supervises staff and student placements/volunteers; including, probationary reviews,performance evaluations, and performing disciplinary actions where necessary;
•Responsible for the maintenance of the schedules, attendance management, andrelated human resources issues for work unit placements;
•Assigns work and tasks to work unit employees and follows up to ensure assigned workand tasks are performed properly;
•Attends and participates in management and supervisory meetings; including thosewhere matters regarding personnel are discussed; and,
•May serve as a representative on management committees (i.e. Collective bargainingcommittee, pay equity committee, (Labour Management committee) and/or, joint healthand safety committee. May attend arbitrations.
• To promote and adhere to the workplace values of the Library, i.e. integrity, service focus, continuous improvement, and enthusiasm.
• Tracks all expenditures for delegated budget lines, negotiates with, and monitors the performance of vendors and suppliers.
• Is accountable for any budget to actual variances for delegated budget lines.
• Serves at the point of contact with the Town of Ajax’s facilities staff.
• Prepares reports and statistics as required by the Manager of Corporate Services.
• Other library related duties as assigned.
Accountability: Translates corporate and work unit goals and objectives into practice. Consistently delivers on work plan objectives as assigned by the Manager. Creates collaborative relationships with Town of Ajax’s Operations staff who maintain the Library’s facilities. Accepts responsibility for actions, work performance, errors and results of individual and team efforts.
Communication Skills: Writes and speaks effectively. States own opinions clearly, concisely, tactfully, and explains the reasoning behind the opinion. Maintains confidential communications. Communications are respectful and inclusive. Actively listens to the communications of others and respects individual communication styles. Can communicate effectively when dealing with work unit employees. Communications demonstrate professionalism.
Customer Service Focus: Able to identify and plan proactively to satisfy the needs of both internal and external customers. Listens and responds effectively to customer questions, and is dedicated to resolving problems to the customer’s satisfaction. Applies corporate principals to customer service, including the commitment to exceed customer expectations. Committed to making service appropriate accommodations for customers with specialized needs.
Effective Decision Making: Recognizes and resolves issues in a timely manner. Is able to identify key issues and employ logical thinking in order to take action in priority sequence. Anticipates potential consequences of decisions. Understands annual budget cycle and considers the availability of funds in budget lines under his/her authority when making a decision. Evaluates and learns from both successful and unsuccessful decisions and implementations. Knows when it is appropriate to ask for input from supervisor or communicate decisions to supervisor.
Initiative: Has significant autonomy and is expected to pursue innovative ideas that further organizational goals. Proactively identifies problems and recommends solutions within service area.
Leadership: Supervises staff and occasional student placements. Models excellence by engaging in desired behaviours and service standards. Encourages work unit employees to take ownership in decision-making and problem-solving. Uses positive influence to encourage work unit employees and team members to deliver results in an efficient and effective manner. Delegates work appropriately to work unit employees.
Technical and Professional Competence: Requires minimal oversight. Understands the Library’s Human Resources-related policies and the collective agreements. Assumes responsibility for continuous professional development. Maintains awareness of broader public library service trends.
Teamwork: Adept at developing and maintaining collaborative relationships with others to achieve business goals. Seeks the opinions of others when developing strategy. Can work effectively as a team leader and as a member of a team.
What’s In It For You
• Competitive compensation and benefits package;
• OMERS defined benefit pension package for all permanent positions;
• *Work from home hybrid options available in alignment with the Library’s Telecommute Policy [applicable roles only];
• Free on-site parking;
• Confidential Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP);
• Free employee membership to Town of Ajax Fitness Facilities;
• Engaged learning culture and professional development opportunities;
• Collaborative team members who are driven by the Library’s shared values and who are constantly inspired to do great work.
• Integrity: Championing inclusive values, and embracing difficult conversations as learning opportunities.
• Service Focus: Prioritizing our customers, both internal and external.
• Continuous Improvement: Enhancing all aspects of the Library, as individuals and as an organization.
• Enthusiasm: Being passionate and energetic, and demonstrating a can-do attitude.
How to Apply
Candidates are invited to apply electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cover letter and résumé must be submitted in Word or PDF format. Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on December 7, 2022.