Smith + Andersen is a trusted Canadian engineering firm with offices in Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, London, Toronto, Ottawa and Halifax.
At Smith + Andersen our employees contribute to some of the most impressive, bold and highly regarded sustainable building design projects in Canada. The work we do has meaningful impact on the community by contributing to landmark projects such as hospitals, transit stations, parks, federal and provincial government buildings and post-secondary institutions.
Our values drive and define everything we do, demonstrating a deep commitment to sustainability, mentorship and quality work that spans nearly six decades in business. We are proud of the highly collaborative culture we have built and for empowering our employees to do great work.
In addition to the many talented engineers and designers who make up our company, we have a national Shared Services team providing operational, IT, HR, legal, proposal, accounting, marketing, and communications support. Shared Services works with each of our offices to help grow our teams, hone our skills, connect our ideas, and move the company forward.
As an HR Generalist based in Toronto, you’ll be responsible for helping us find the best and brightest minds in the industry to grow our offices across Canada. In addition to attracting top talent consistent with S+A’s brand, business strategy, and culture, you will support a wide range of HR functions and will work with the Director and the HR team to roll out larger initiatives for our organization.
As an experienced Human Resources professional, you have strong communication skills, experience with project management and a strong eye for detail. You are an adaptable, forward-thinker looking to further your career by taking on new challenges.
Why choose Smith + Andersen? In addition to an exciting career filled with meaningful work, we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Half day Fridays (Finish at 1:00pm all year, not just in Summer!)
- Comprehensive Group Health Benefits Program, including a Health Spending Account
- Group Retirement Savings Plan (Employer and Employee Contributions)
- Employee Share Ownership Program (ESOP)
- Purchase Time Off Program (PTO)
- Flexible hours
- Transit Subsidy Program
- Hybrid Work Model (3 days in-office / 2 days remote)
- Participate and/or lead employee engagement initiatives related to company culture and retention of talent activities.
- Develop and execute end-to-end hiring strategy for assigned client group. Devise and implement innovative sourcing strategies to build pipelines of qualified candidates.
- Perform the full range of recruitment activities to source and fill a wide range of positions including creating engaging job postings, reviewing and qualifying resumes, pre-screening candidates, coordinating interview panels, conducting background screening, preparing offer letters and conducting onboarding activities.
- Forecast, plan and execute co-operative education requirement and activities for each planned term for assigned locations including review of postings, engagement with colleges and universities, interview scheduling and offer management.
- Conduct research on HR best practices and analyze trends to enhance and improve full time and co-operative education recruitment.
- Identify and recommend continuous improvements to HR programs and processes to drive efficiencies and enhance the employee experience.
- Oversee joint health and safety committee activities for assigned locations ensuring compliance to legislation. WSIB claims management and where required coordination of return to work process.
- Assist with continuing the development of HR Intranet page and complete special HR projects as assigned.
- Coordinate performance management process and talent reviews for assigned client group.
- Conduct exit interviews and support administration of employee offboarding. Report trends and suggest improvements organizationally or by department based on data.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, legislation change and new technologies in human resources, talent management and employment law.
- A bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field and a minimum of 5 years of progressive experience as an HR professional, supporting HR activities through the employee life cycle from recruitment and onboarding to separation.
- Experience with Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS).
- Sound knowledge of HR-related legislation and regulations.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Resourceful and proactive, seeking opportunities to learn and grow, contributing creative and innovate ideas.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management skills with proven ability to meet deadlines and to prioritize tasks.
- Proficient with Microsoft Suite of products including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
In addition, we are looking for you to have previous experience with:
- HR best practices to attract candidates and to build talent pipelines.
- Project management skills to execute HR initiatives.
- HRIS systems.
- Analyzing and presenting HR data.
- Experience recruiting for niche roles.
About Smith + Andersen
Founded in 1965, Smith + Andersen has organically grown from an established reputation as a trusted engineering consulting firm, reaching new levels of engineering and design excellence in the mechanical, electrical, communications, security and audiovisual fields, and providing enhanced services such as lighting, building automation systems, and intelligent integrated systems design. Thanks to our client-focused approach, we are able to apply efficient, sustainable, and reliable design and engineering solutions on the some of the most exciting projects across Canada.
Here are just some of the projects we've worked on
- Toronto Pearson International Airport
- Go Transit Union Station
- Humber River Hospital
- Engineering Five at University of Waterloo
- Roman School of Business at University of Toronto
Appropriate accommodations will be provided to candidates upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process. If you require accommodation during any phase of the hiring process please advise the Human Resources Specialist with whom you are in contact.
Smith + Andersen welcomes interest by individual applicants. For resumes or applications submitted by agencies or recruiters with which Smith + Andersen does not have an agreement in place, Smith + Andersen will not pay any referral or placement fees or charges. Unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies or recruiters will be deemed to have been referred without fee or other charges.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about Smith + Andersen, please visit our website at www.smithandandersen.com.