Manager, Human Resources
- FirstOntario Credit Union
- Stoney Creek, Ontario
- Competitive Compensation Package
- Closing date
- Mar 10, 2023
- Benefits / Pension, Generalist, Labour / Employee / Industrial Relations, Rewards / Compensation, Workplace / Employment Law
- Job Level
- Employment Type
- Full time
- Designations Required/Preferred
FirstOntario Credit Union is one of the largest credit unions in Ontario. We are a trusted co-operative financial intuition dedicated to providing competitive banking products and services and a quality Member service. More than 118,000 Ontarians choose FirstOntario for their financial needs - from chequing and savings accounts to loans and mortgages and highly qualified investment advice. Our Membership does more than save you money on fees, it also makes you an Owner. At FirstOntario, we believe the best way to ensure our success is by supporting the communities we serve. That's why our policies include volunteering our time, talent and resources to worthy local causes and events. It's also why we reinvest our profits in the same places they're earned, and why we sponsor programs that promote financial literacy and economic development.
The Manager, Human Resources is a seasoned Human Resources Professional who offers a well-honed generalist background, with experience in compensation, benefits and pension and enjoys leading their team to success. The Manager, Human Resources provides service to an internal client group and is a dedicated team member that helps develop and execute the Human Resources Strategic Plan.
- Support FirstOntario's leadership teams as well as over 550 employees across all regions
- Manage a team of HR professionals, providing them regular coaching and mentorship, ensuring goals are met efficiently and in a timely manner
- Oversee the benefit, pension and payroll functions to ensure all areas of compliance are met, and the benefit, pension and compensation offerings are competitive against market
- Contribute to recruitment and selection of talent while ensuring that all successful candidates possess the required work experience, competencies and skills
- Provide guidance to management with respect to performance evaluations, employee/labour relations, succession plans, compensation, departmental organization, disciplinary procedures and terminations
Participate in annual benefit renewals and/or required RFPs as it pertains to pension, benefits, disability, and related consultants
- Attend regular meetings to review service experience and program utilization (i.e. quarterly disability meetings, annual benefits renewal)
- Provide support to the HR labour relations team with preparing materials and providing analysis of proposals for union negotiations
- Lead the Wellness Committee and ensure all wellness initiatives are executed effectively
- Provide the HR Team support in the area of disability management to ensure early and safe return to work
- Provide analysis of potential mergers and acquisitions as it relates to pension, benefits and compensation
Initiate the compensation review process each year for merit increases and incentive payouts (and any relevant COLA)
- Partner with management to ensure that annual performance evaluations are completed in a timely manner and are used to increase employee morale, productivity and development with specific and measurable goals identified and a clear plan outlined and communicated to all
- Lead the payroll and benefits team to ensure proper processes are followed (i.e. timely enrollment of employees, departmental transfers, proper payroll remittances, benefit administration, commissions, retirement, medical leaves, lay-offs and terminations; and in accordance with company policies and government legislation)
- Develop, create, communicate and enforce all FCU policies to all employees and act as advisor and counsellor for all policies and procedures
- Advise, coach and consult managers on employee concerns and issues regarding policies, procedures, collective agreements, terminations, discipline, and performance
- Lead investigations to ensure processes are followed consistently and due diligence has been done
- Share knowledge appropriately on applicable legislation including but not limited to the ESA, LRA,
Ontario Human Rights Code and AODA
- Be an advocate for employee health and wellness and ensure we meet our obligations within the
OHSA and other legislation to minimize work-related accidents and injuries
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Have working knowledge of Human Resources and Labour Relations
- Have a post-secondary diploma or degree in a field related to Human Resources Management or an
equivalent combination of education and experience
- Be a Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) and Member in Good Standing with the Human
Resources Professionals Association (HRPA)
- Have a minimum of five (5) years progressive experience in a generalist capacity
- Experience in the areas of Compensation, Benefits and Payroll an asset
- Have an understanding of compensation including job evaluation, payroll, benefits, and pension
- Have experience working with a unionized workforce, an asset
- Have exposure in benefits and wellness initiatives
- Be well-versed in HR legislative requirements and have an interest in following field case law
- Be detail-oriented and organized
- Have the flexibility to travel within our extensive branch network
- Appreciate the need to work independently while supporting team members and organizational
- Build and utilize working relationships with internal business partners across the organization and
- Collaborate with your peers and stakeholders to add to the collective innovative thinking that can
drive new business ideas for FirstOntario
- Be a change leader as FirstOntario continues to adapt to new and exciting ways of delivering business
- Be aware of and mitigate enterprise risk factors and ensure compliance with applicable regulations,
legislation and FirstOntario policies and procedures
Our Story Our emphasis on service means we're constantly searching for new team members whose dedication to helping people is as powerful as their ambition to succeed. We're committed to providing professional development, and to extending employee activities beyond day-to-day operations to support the communities where we're located. Our people are the difference, it's a part of why we love coming to work.
FirstOntario is proud and privileged to be able to assist and touch the lives of so many in our communities.
We believe giving back to our communities helps everyone.
We believe in volunteering, active community support and participation.
We believe in investing our profits back into the credit union and the community.
We believe in finding solutions to help our Members and communities.
If this sparks your interest and you demonstrate high levels of integrity and credibility, we should talk. Check out our website for the full job description and prepare your cover letter and resume listing your experience, qualifications, and submit it online through our careers page on the company website.
We appreciate all who express interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
FirstOntario Credit Union will provide accommodations for persons with disabilities, where needed, to support their participation in our recruitment process.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert