Why join us?
SNC-Lavalin provides cutting-edge engineering, procurement, construction and financing solutions to projects in more than 100 countries around the world. From the Canadian Arctic to the Southern African region and Australasia, our multicultural workforce is driven by a fierce pride in their work and a pioneering vision.
SNC-Lavalin is truly a global expert in its field and has been chosen to design and build some of the most prestigious projects in the world.
Our Canadian Nuclear Division is currently looking for a Labour Relations Manager to be part of our team on a 15-month contract. The position will report to the Vice President, Labour Relations and will be responsible for providing labour relations advice and counsel to management and the Human Resource Business Partners within a federal jurisdiction. This role will act as a subject matter expert and carry out various labour relations functions as part of the Labour Relations Centre of Excellence model within a matrix organization.
How will you contribute to the team?
To perform this role successfully, the candidate will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Lead, build and manage the employer-union relationship, through effective facilitation, engagement and a consultative, interest based approach.
- Keep up to date with workplace legislation in the federal jurisdiction, arbitral jurisprudence and other major events / matters with potential labour relations impacts.
- Provide strategic advice, guidance and direction to Management and HR Business Partners on the administration, interpretation, and implementation of collective agreements including discipline, policy implementation, investigations, negotiations, terminations, etc.
- Support Management through the the conflict resolution processes, including complex grievances, arbitrations and Labour Board proceedings related to complex labour relations matters.
- Work collaboratively with Management, union and other stakeholders to proactive resolve issues before grievances are filed.
- Provide Labour Relations training on various topics to internal stakeholders as required from time to time.
- Hold the Union accountable for fulfilling their obligations under the collective agreement.
- Aid in the development and implementation in a forward-looking union-management strategy.
- Work with internal and external legal council and HR Business Partners throughout the grievance arbitration process.
- Provide detailed reports on labour and union activities on a monthly basis.
- Supports the company’s performance management process and makes recommendations on labour relations issues.
- Foster and maintain strong internal relationships with key HR business partners and business person.
- Act as a trusted advisor to business unit. Add value to discussions and business decision-making with a combination of technical expertise in Labour Relations as well as sound business acumen. Balance business and employee needs, providing innovative and creative solutions to meet evolving expectations.
- Perform other job-related duties as required.
What will you contribute?
- Masters of Industrial Relations, or equivalent education preferred.
- A minimum of 7 plus years of leadership in labour relations, including negotiation of collective bargaining agreements, preparing for and managing the entire grievance and arbitration resolution process.
- Thorough knowledge and experience working with the Canada Labour Code and other workplace legislations.
- Strong problem solving, making choices, conflict resolution, fundamentals and facilitiation skills.
- Strong understanding of generally accepted HR principles and procedures.
- Very detailed oriented, concepts problem solver with an ability to manage several projects at once, capable of prioritizing and meet deadlines.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills capable of dealing with multiple stakeholders and situations at the same time.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to take a firm stand where required, to make the tough decisions, and to deliver difficult messages in a direct, respectful, and appropriate manner at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to interact and communicate effectively with all levels of employees, senior management and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work under pressure, and manage tight timelines and expectations.
- Familiarity working with Microsoft Office, including more complex excel spreadsheets.
- Proven managerial skills.
What we offer at SNC-Lavalin?
At SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy good compensation, a safe and healthy work environment:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes.
- Competitive salary.
- Motivational financial package & flexible benefits.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Learning and Development programs, training, career opportunities.
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording. Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process.
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data. By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a fully integrated professional services and project management company with offices around the world dedicated to engineering a better future for our planet and its people. We create sustainable solutions that connect people, technology and data to design, deliver and operate the most complex projects. We deploy global capabilities locally to our clients and deliver unique end-to-end services across the whole life cycle of an asset including consulting, advisory & environmental services, intelligent networks & cybersecurity, design & engineering, procurement, project & construction management, operations & maintenance, decommissioning and capital – and delivered to clients in key strategic sectors such as Engineering Services, Nuclear, Operations & Maintenance and Capital. News and information are available at snclavalin.com or follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter.