Operations Manager (People and Business Manager)
- York University
- Toronto (City), Ontario
- To be discussed
- Closing date
- Apr 26, 2023
- Educational Institutions and Services - Post-Secondary
- Generalist, Recruiting / Acquisition / Staffing, Talent Management / Workforce Planning
- Job Level
- Employment Type
- Full time
- Designations Required/Preferred
- CHRP, CHRL
Operations Manager (People and Business Manager)
Duration: Permanent Full Time
Location: 4700 Keele Street, Toronto
The Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies (LA&PS) is the largest Faculty at York University with over 23,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and almost 100 programs delivered through 24 Departments, Schools and Colleges, plus the IBM Markham Learning Site. York University is known for championing new ways of thinking that drive excellence in promoting and enhancing, teaching, research and student success. Through innovative course design, diverse experiential education and learning opportunities, and a supportive community environment, our students receive the education they need to create big ideas that have an impact on the world.
Under the direction of the Director, Operations Management, the Operations Manager is accountable for the effective management of staff in their provision of responsive support services to students, faculty and staff across their assigned Departments and/or Schools in LA&PS. In their role as manager, they are responsible for overseeing financial, human resources, facilities and health and safety activities in their units. In leading their team, the Operations Manager, under the direction of the Director, Operations Management, fosters and supports the vision, mission, values and strategic direction of LA&PS and York University, and contributes to a positive, supportive and student-focused team environment of high performance, respect, trust, collaboration and continuous improvement; Embraces diversity and fosters inclusion.
- University Degree in business, finance, human resources management, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience. The Certified Human Resources Leader/Professional (CHRL/CHRP) professional designation is an asset.
- Minimum of 3 years' proven management experience fostering and leading inclusive, results-oriented teams, preferably within an academic environment or other comparable public sector unionized environment. Experience with strategic planning, budgeting and financial management, and development and streamlining of policies and procedures is required. Demonstrated experience managing within a unionized environment is required, with hands on experience administering a collective agreement related to managing unionized staff. Experience working with human resources management, labour relations, and policies and procedures within a Faculty and/or academic environment is preferred. Knowledge of academic processes (e.g. tenure and promotion, academic hiring, salary administration) would be an asset. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Priority will be given to individuals who demonstrate lived experience as a Black person navigating in university (or similar) structures.
- Proven excellent leadership and interpersonal skills are required. Success in building relationships and fostering a positive, inclusive organizational culture within a dynamic and complex environment. Ability to effectively work with and influence all levels. Strong track record of collaboration and driving to successful outcomes. Excellent communications skills (oral and written). Understanding of university/public sector governance, policies and procedures. Strategic planning skills and commitment to service excellence, with the ability to conceptualize and action initiatives to improve and streamline processes. High degree of integrity with the ability to handle confidential and politically sensitive issues and difficult situations in a tactful and diplomatic manner. Demonstrated strong coaching and team building skills in order to foster, motivate and support an environment of high performance, trust and collaboration. Flexible and adaptable with exceptional change management, detail orientation and organizational skills. Strong solutions-focused problem solving skills. Proficient with use of Microsoft 365 (i.e. Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Knowledge of SIS and ARM would be an asset.
This position requires the candidate to produce a verification of degree(s), credential(s) or equivalencies from accredited institutions and/or international equivalents at the time of interview.
York's CPM Compensation Framework has a salary grid consisting of 6 or 8 steps (depending on job grade) which is reviewed annually with possible adjustments, and a lump sum Performance Based Recognition Award. Employees will receive the grid adjustment and depending on performance, eligible permanent employees may move to the next step of the grid and may receive a lump sum Performance Based Recognition Award.Visit the CPM Compensation page on the HR Website to find out more about York's CPM Compensation Program.
York is committed to ensuring the way we work serves our diverse community and advances our commitment to Living Well Together, one of the Six Priorities for Action in the University Academic Plan. As part of this commitment the University has implemented a Hybrid Work Policy.
The selected incumbent for this role is eligible for a hybrid work arrangement which will be confirmed based on operational requirements.
The University welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including, but not limited to women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities (racialized), Indigenous Peoples and persons of any gender identity and sexual orientation. York University is committed to a positive, supportive and inclusive environment.
York University offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by York University regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation.
We are committed to enhancing our environmentally and socially responsible practices for the benefit of all members of the York community. Our long term perspective recognizes our responsibility to be innovators and to continually work as a community to reduce our ecological impact.
York University employees must apply to jobs through the Employee Career Portal - YU Hire. If you are a current York University employee and/or are using your rights under a collective agreement to view and/or apply to jobs, you MUST log into YU Hire to access the York University Employee Career Portal.
PLEASE NOTE: Applications must be received by 11:55 pm EST on the posted deadline date, if applicable
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/63f8f40dbcbb4cd7d39b70ef/5a04a93a6ff05d6400329333/en
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert