- Modern Niagara Group Inc.
- Vancouver, British Columbia
- Closing date
- May 2, 2023
- Construction Industries
- Health, Safety and Wellness
- Job Level
- Supervisor, Officer, Lead, Professional
- Employment Type
- Full time
- Designations Required/Preferred
Modern Niagara helps building owners, managers, and general contractors meet the mechanical, electrical, integrated building technology, and building services needs of their buildings across Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Southwestern Ontario, and Ottawa. We also develop custom, turnkey solutions to help reach the desired outcomes. We are committed to having a positive and meaningful impact on Canada’s infrastructure and on the communities where we live, learn, work, and heal.
WE BUILD FOR LIFE.
We value passion, initiative, determination, professionalism, and teamwork and we are committed to ensuring that our teams have everything they need to succeed. Health and safety are embedded in everything we do and, as a result, our award-winning safety culture has a record that’s well above industry standards.
At Modern Niagara, you will work alongside values-driven, safety-conscious, and high-impact teams in a fast-paced, innovative, and collaborative environment. Here, your knowledge, skills, and excellent service will help ensure that the buildings that make up Canada’s infrastructure fulfill the needs they were set out to meet.
Modern Niagara is one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies and is a recipient of SMACNA‘s Safety Excellence Award Program (SSEAP) – Canada and the Canadian Occupational Safety (COS) Magazine’s Gold Winner for Canada’s Safest Employers Award in the Building and Construction category and Excellence Winner for Canada’s Best Health + Safety Culture Award as well as Canada’s Best Health + Safety Leader Award.
Modern Niagara is currently looking for a Health & Safety Professional to join our Vancouver office. This position will suit an experienced and technical Health & Safety Professional who is eager to be an integral part of one of Downtown Vancouver’s most exciting and major hospital projects in recent times. Come and join a team contributing to the landscape of Vancouver!
Based at our project site in Downtown Vancouver, as the Health & Safety Professional, you will be instrumental in ensuring that the workforce has all the knowledge, training, and experiences necessary to complete their jobs as safely as possible and to comply with any relevant legislation. The role of the Health & Safety Professional is to be available for workers, supervisors, foremen, managers, and executives to provide advice, inspections, training, document management and hazard identification so that incidents and accidents are eliminated.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Completing safety orientations for new workers, promotions, or transfer workers
- Completing regular field and office inspections of work conditions Writing objective, thorough, and accurate reports of the inspection conditions
- Facilitating changes with the onsite workforce to correct substandard site conditions
- To identify and affect the correction of hazards by: Creating safe work procedures; Creating site-specific safety plans; Providing training; Mediating and advising on safety topics on-site or in planning meetings; Developing and Managing safety talks, tailgate talks, or any other necessary safety talks for the workforce
- Manage training rosters and training sessions;
- Develop pre-qualifying safety packages;
- Manage joint health and safety committee (JHSC) functions;
- Manage all ISO, CSA, COR, ISNet, ComplyWorks, Contractor Check, Risk Check, or any other compliance requirements;
- Manage worker injury and compensation requirements including modified duties and return to work
- When incidents occur completing an incident investigation which may include: Providing immediate care and comfort to the worker; Providing or ensuring the provision of transportation to the health care facility; Cordoning off the scene; Completing on-scene investigation; Taking photos, video, or drawings related to the incident; Taking witness statements;
- Reviewing all policies, procedures, practices, and programs related to the incident;
- Making lists and reviewing all equipment, materials, devices, vehicles or machines involved;
- Determining if other parties were involved or contributed to the cause;
- Reporting to the authorities as required
- Participating in the weekly safety department call-in meetings
- Addressing safety infractions through all levels of action up to and including discipline
- Discipline must always include the manager.
OVERVIEW OF ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Completing their field inspection reports within 24 hours of the field visit
- Attending all weekly safety call-in meetings
- Ensuring all documents are provided to the coordinator for data management within 24 hours
- Ensuring all training is up to date and provided to the coordinator weekly
- Completing and submitting a quarterly report to the responsible managers.
- The report must include: Compensation statistics summary; Training summary; Field visit summary; Leading and lagging indicator trends; Goals for the following quarter; Budget items requested for the following quarter
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Post-secondary education in Health & Safety or a related field Previous 5-10 years of experience within a similar position.
- Previous experience within the construction industry would be a strong asset
- Credentials to support skillset
- Demonstrated competency in Microsoft Office including: Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Effective communicator with the ability to develop and sustain productive working relationships with employees, subcontractors, and other stakeholders at all levels
- Well-organized individual with the ability to effectively set and manage competing priorities
- Sense of prioritization and drive to succeed
- Comfortable working within a deadline-driven, fast-paced environment
- Resourceful, energetic, and able to operate independently with confidence
- Clean driver’s license and the ability to travel to job sites if required
- Strong interest in growing a career within the construction industry
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Modern Niagara, we recognize the value of fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization and are committed to eliminating barriers faced by members of equity-seeking groups in the construction industry. Our DEI vision is to build an organization where everyone has access to the same opportunities, experience equitable outcomes, and can thrive and reach their full potential.
We value the diversity of the people we hire and serve. Modern Niagara is an equal opportunity employer. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please advise us so that suitable accommodations can be made. We can be reached at email@example.com.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert